P pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mediocrity Man, Mar 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Stillwater, New Jersey
    So I've got this great Fender 70's classic P bass. Love it very much but wondering if I should swap out the pups?

Seems like it lacks a bit of clarity with the DiMarzio's currently installed. I play mostly classic rock and no metal. I like the warm lows but with a nice clean mid punch. I've listened to a bunch of vids for comparison but it's still difficult to decide.

Any suggestions on?

Fralins
    Geezer
    Lolar
    Aguilar
    Ext.

2. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I have the Pure Vintage 63 in my 2015 ADE Precision and I have to say that I like it a lot. It's not harsh on top, has a nice bottom and is also very smooth through the mids IMO.

(Any excuse to post a pic of my baby)

upload_2017-3-21_13-51-28.

3. Basstards

Basstards

Oct 7, 2016
    My top three, with only Youtuve video watching experience would be:
    1. Lollar
    2. Fralin
    3. Duncan Antiquity

Good luck

This guy has Lollars:

bassdude51 and Mediocrity Man like this.
  4. Mediocrity Man

Apr 11, 2014
    Stillwater, New Jersey

Oh dam that's sweet!

The Chuck likes this.
  5. Mediocrity Man

Apr 11, 2014
    Stillwater, New Jersey

Oh I forgot about the Duncan's

Basstards likes this.
  6. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    g&l LB100 pickups (the new ones are a little hotter than the old ones) - perfectly between modern and vintage, great in a band mix
    alleva coppolo vintage pickups - whatever he does they are warm, articulate, and even to the point of kind of freakin me out

G RICH 5 and Mediocrity Man like this.
  7. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I'm a huge fan of Nordstrand pickups. I have one of their Alnico III pickups in my P bass. The Alnico III magnets will give you a more "vintage" sound if that's your bag.

G RICH 5 and Mediocrity Man like this.
  8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Eastwood Guitars, CHC Guitars, GHS strings
    Duncan SPB-1's are still consistently the closest sounding (that I've found) to the original pickups in my 1964 P Bass...I've tried all the usual Fenders, Duncan's, Lollars, DiMarzios, Nordstrand, Antiquities, etc etc ....as well as stuff like GFS, EMG and the like.

And they're inexpensive.

DavidEdenAria, bassdude51 and Hopkins like this.
  9. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I see no reason to spend extra money on a pickup when a Duncan SPB-1 sounds exactly like what you are looking for.

10. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    If you're peeking at the GZR, consider a look at the Steve Harris Duncan PU. On my Nash P, I switched from a DiMarzio to this unit, and I've been pretty happy. Not sure it's exactly what you're looking for, but worth a listen to the demo.

Mediocrity Man and Gord_oh like this.
  11. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    The Novak CC-PB might be worth consideration as well.

Mediocrity Man likes this.
  12. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Iowa
    Some good suggestions here. I presume you've tried other options? I noticed DiMarzios can benefit from being set a little lower, and I do like the added brightness of having just one 500K pot (two 250Ks might be a tad on on the dark side).

Gord_oh likes this.
  13. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Check out my items for sale in the classifieds! Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    If you love it, why change it?

I've goofed up so many basses by changing them and realizing that there was nothing wrong to begin with. Pickups are an easy thing to change and change back though. If you got an extra $100 you get into some decent pickups. It's trial and error. We can suggest everyone on the market but it comes down to what you like. We aren't the ones with your ears playing your bass wanting your sound.

My .02

Mediocrity Man and Oddly like this.
  14. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Check out my items for sale in the classifieds! Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Pots make a huge difference. If you need a wiring harness done up, let me know in a PM.

15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

For a PB, the replacement pickups I've used that I've really liked are:

• Aguilar AG 4P-60 - very much in the vibe of a classic PB pup but clearer. Nice compromise between a traditional and more modern sound. Smooth with a mellow high end and good mids. Probably one of the most versatile of all the PB pickups I've ever tried. (avg $110 street)
    • Klein 1962 Epic Series - as exact a recreation of a '62 Fender PB pickup as you'll find anywhere. Classic sound. Smooth and mellow with plenty of thump. Probably my all time favorite. ($120 direct)
    • Bill Lawrence P-46 - modern clear sounding pickup with what almost sounds like a hint of built-in compression. Very inexpensive ($60 direct) and designed by Bill Lawrence, one of the best instrument electronics wizards that ever lived. An awesome pup.
    Note: a PB is a PB is a PB. Unless there's something specific you have in mind, I'd probably just keep what's already there and EQ it on the amp to get as close as possible before I'd seriously consider swapping pups. The differences aren't going to be that dramatic changing pickups on a PB most times.

sheltjo6, hopwheels and Teacher like this.
  16. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    A vote here for standard-wound Fralins. Clear, articulate, and quite vintage to my ears.

Mediocrity Man and jsr914 like this.
  17. carsbybigd

carsbybigd Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Fullerton Ca USA
    If you can find 1 ,try 1 of these.... 006.JPG

40Hz likes this.
  18. big_fundamental

big_fundamental

Oct 3, 2016
    pudgychef, Mediocrity Man and Teacher like this.
  19. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    It's one pickup.

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Oh yeah! And after you find one of those out in the wild (and for sale) you can next start hunting for Bigfoot, a unicorn, or the Holy Grail. It'll be easier. :laugh:

Those pickups are incredible. :thumbsup: