1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GODSBASSMAN, Apr 3, 2013.

1. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Who makes the most aggressive Precision bass pickups?
    Who makes the deepest sounding Precision pickups?
    Who makes the most smoothest Precision pickups?
    Who makes the most mellow Precision pick ups?

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
  3. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Are they all the same, pretty much? ...the "P" tone .

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    There is some commonality across various split-coil pickups due to their design and placement, but they are not all created equal by any means. I've tried a few, and would say:

Most aggressive: G&L MFD split-coil from the SB-2; DiMarzio Model P. Both have ceramic magnets, very high output, and a full range response. I prefer the G&L. Some might place SD Quarter Pounders in here, but I've only tried them on "test drives" in shops so I don't have a strong opinion. For a more vintage-voiced pickup that still rocks hard, Lindy Fralin rules. (It's my favorite overall, but the G&L MFD is real close.)

Deepest sounding: The G&L, DiMarzio, and Quarter Pounder all have deeper lows than a typical stock split-coil. SD's SPB-2 Hot is also deep, but it's more of a low-mids thickness than seriously deep bass.

Smoothest: Of those I've tried, the SD Hot is the smoothest by far. I prefer more grit, so I moved on to Fralin. Barts have a reputation for being smooth too, which seems accurate based on the very few I've tried in Pedullas.

Most mellow: No strong opinion there, but the stock pickup in my 2004 American Series Fender was pretty mellow. It had modest output and a soft attack, but loads of pure thump in a band mix. I think Fender may have changed their stock pickups since then.

5. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Great news there Nedmundo...I thank you for that rundown. Anyone else help out?

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Lollar 60's P-Bass Pickups, nail that 60's tone.

7. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Keep those comments coming in. I want to hear from you. :D

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I just put a set of Duncan Antiquity II's in my 87' E series Squier. There is not a huge difference but the mids and over tone is more balanced and focused then the stock pup. It is a vintage colored pup. So far I like it but they cost a little more than I feel they are worth.

9. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    The DiMarzio Will Power Middle Pickup is HUGE sounding especially with flats.