P sound in J format

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dave-shortscale, Aug 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Dave-shortscale

Dave-shortscale

Nov 27, 2019
    Outbush, I like the idea of two volume pots and a series/parallel switch - makes it all simple.

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Such a switch does indeed exist, because Godin's Shifter five-string has one, with exactly those settings. I tested one last year, and really liked it.

I've never chased P-bass tone from my J-basses, but series wiring definitely fattens up the low midrange making a J more like a P. Also, to my surprise, the Lace Man o' War pickups in my G&L JB have a similar effect. They have slightly reduced treble and have fatter tone than conventional J-bass pickups, so in a band mix, my JB has a presence almost like a P-bass. Largely for this reason, I've considered selling my G&L SB-2, but thus far sanity has prevailed!

Dave-shortscale likes this.
  3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Shifter has a Strat-style switch, which OP doesn’t want to use.
    A 4-way mini-switch that would work for this application (if it even exists) is likely to be a pretty expensive custom part as it would require different mechanics and poles than standard 2 or 3-way switches. A push-pull pot for series setting makes the most sense and really doesn’t complicate things much at all (especially considering you’ve already got the pickup selector switch).

You can always add a stacked Volume control for parallel mode too if you’d like more pickup blend options (then make the Tone a push-pull control pot).

Dave-shortscale likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021