P style Pickup opinion

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bleachstained, Jul 7, 2001.

1. bleachstained

Apr 22, 2001
    I am wanting to replace the pickup in my Squier P-bass with a quality pickup. I have looked into Seymour Duncan, which I like, but I have never got to hear them so I don't know if they have what I'm looking for.

What does everybody think is the deepest sounding, punchiest P pickup replacement available?
  2. I just bought and installed a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder. I absolutely love it. It's awesome. I found that this pickup is louder than the stock one. It also sounds brighter. Especially when you use a pick. If you turn down the tone knob maybe you can get it to sound deeper. Mark from Blink 182 uses this pickup if you want to hear what it sounds like. Keep in mind though that all those tracks have gone through LOTS of eq. Ask the pup guru at your local store. He'll help lots.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Better make sure those Seymours (BassLines) fit in your pickguard. They were slightly large for my friend's MIM P-bass.
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'm gonna toss out a vote for the stock Fender pup, (not the one that I'm sure is in the Squire, but the one that comes in the American Standard). The pup in my MIA '97 P-Bass sounds wonderful.

The Duncan Quarter Pounder is definitely up there, if for nothing else but the fact that you can get them easily, and sometimes ridiculously cheap. The local GC had three of 'em for $40 apiece back around Christmas. Why oh why didn't I just pick one up then to have on hand?

Another overlooked pup, IMO, is the Schaller PBX that StewMac has available. I've used these before on home-built axes with excellent results. As far as getting them to fit... two words... Dremel Tool!!

5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I like the DiMarzio Split-P (blade style polepieces).
    It adds little or no coloration to the tone, other than
    the fact that it's a humbucker. Actually, TWO humbuckers.
    You could go wacky with the wiring and send each section
    to the hot side(s) of a stereo jack (to two different amps),
    and then tune-up E-A-E-A :p .

It's really sensitive (tap away :) ), and has a very
    even response across all strings (duhh - blades! :D ).
  6. Definitley go with seymour duncan PB-3 Qtr. pound. Mark hoppus(blink 182) use's them and they make a deep sound and i've never heard the bass stand out more than in blinks new songs.

for extra punch use Ernie Ball hybrid Slinky strings.
  7. I put the Qtr. Pounder on my Squier P and it sounds great. The pickup sounds better than a standard Fender, not to mention a stock Squier. The PB-3 has a deep growl and a lot of punch and good highs. It's significantly hotter too with tons better tone. I would highly recomend it.
  8. StereoBassist

StereoBassist Guest

Jul 10, 2001
    Sparta, New Jersey
    hey, i recently changed my pickups to the seymour duncan SPB-3 QTR-PND, and they have the most tone i've heard. i have the same bass u do, Squier P-Bass, red, but i changed the pickups. i never knew i could get my POS to sound like it does now. and if u want even better sound, get elixer strings. they last longer than any string, and they gotta little coating on them.
  9. I've never tried a basslines/SD pickup. I have a Bartolini 8S in my yamaha Rbx 260, and it made a heluvalottta difference.
  10. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The SPB-3 Quarter Pounders have a much more bottom heavy sound, whereas the SPB-2 Hot for P Bass' have more of an emphasis on the mid range. The Quarter Pounders have a higher output, but the Hot's sound punchier because of their stronger mids.
    So it really depends on you own tastes and what frequency range you would like most of your signal coming from.
  11. Yup!!