Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-style pickups for slap

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Johnny Mac, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    I have a Washburn XB100 4-string bass that I'm going to have set up for slapping, as the action is already pretty low. If I were going to replace the pickups, what would you guys recommend?

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    personally i think P pickups are bad for slapping. or that might just be P basses, im not sure.

anyway thats just my opinion, others might disagree

3. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i too think pbasses in general arent the best for slap... BUT i did like the SD quarter pound pups when i tried slapping on a friends pbass.. aaaand george porter jr uses a pbass..

4. My son-in-law is a slappin' maniac on a MIM P with SPB-3 and Rotosound rounds.

Part of the reason I let him marry my daughter is because he is a hell of a fine bassist.

:D

5. You let your daughter marry a BASSIST???? :eek:

and the guy slaps a MIM P??? :eek: :eek:

well it could be worse...she could have married a drummer :D

6. I believe that 90% of the basses out there can get a decent slap if you have the following outboard gear...

1) a reasonable compressor/limiter (I think this is a must for slap to keep it sounding "tight"). Although, 1/2 your slap practice should be done without it to prevent one from relying on it as a crutch.

2) a tone stack that can produce a decent/controlled scooped sound. The tone control on a big muff can acomplish this.
    my latest design (based around the James or "Baxandall" stack) will hopefully give me this scooped sound + a lot more.

7. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I actually like the sound of a slapped Pbass. Very meaty, for lack of a better word.

8. No, he slaps on his stingray and/or MIA jazz for real.

I have his P in my music room for tinkering purposes. When he is here at the house, he slaps it around and shows me how far I still have to go as a bassist. He is self-taught, too.

Yes, I let my daughter marry a bassist... they know how to go down.

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I just dropped some EMG-P's in my Squier P-bass and god damn that thing can thump!

-Mark

10. P pickups being in general fairly hot and not having that much high end response (since they are in fact a humbucker wired in series), I'd say try a vintage type, like a SD SPB-1, and if you find that it doesn't have enough treble, try one or both of the following: wire it in parallel, swap 250k pots (I assume that's what there is in the bass) for 500k ones.

Edit: Come to think of it, you could try those mods with your current pickup, it may give you a good tone. Also, you could use a push/pull in one of your pots for series/parallel switching, so you can easily go back to the "normal" sound if necessary.