1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-style pickups for slap

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Johnny Mac, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    I have a Washburn XB100 4-string bass that I'm going to have set up for slapping, as the action is already pretty low. If I were going to replace the pickups, what would you guys recommend?

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    personally i think P pickups are bad for slapping. or that might just be P basses, im not sure.

anyway thats just my opinion, others might disagree

3. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i too think pbasses in general arent the best for slap... BUT i did like the SD quarter pound pups when i tried slapping on a friends pbass.. aaaand george porter jr uses a pbass..

4. My son-in-law is a slappin' maniac on a MIM P with SPB-3 and Rotosound rounds.

Part of the reason I let him marry my daughter is because he is a hell of a fine bassist.

:D

5. You let your daughter marry a BASSIST???? :eek:

and the guy slaps a MIM P??? :eek: :eek:

well it could be worse...she could have married a drummer :D

6. I believe that 90% of the basses out there can get a decent slap if you have the following outboard gear...

1) a reasonable compressor/limiter (I think this is a must for slap to keep it sounding "tight"). Although, 1/2 your slap practice should be done without it to prevent one from relying on it as a crutch.

2) a tone stack that can produce a decent/controlled scooped sound. The tone control on a big muff can acomplish this.
    my latest design (based around the James or "Baxandall" stack) will hopefully give me this scooped sound + a lot more.

7. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I actually like the sound of a slapped Pbass. Very meaty, for lack of a better word.

8. No, he slaps on his stingray and/or MIA jazz for real.

I have his P in my music room for tinkering purposes. When he is here at the house, he slaps it around and shows me how far I still have to go as a bassist. He is self-taught, too.

Yes, I let my daughter marry a bassist... they know how to go down.

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I just dropped some EMG-P's in my Squier P-bass and god damn that thing can thump!

-Mark

10. P pickups being in general fairly hot and not having that much high end response (since they are in fact a humbucker wired in series), I'd say try a vintage type, like a SD SPB-1, and if you find that it doesn't have enough treble, try one or both of the following: wire it in parallel, swap 250k pots (I assume that's what there is in the bass) for 500k ones.

Edit: Come to think of it, you could try those mods with your current pickup, it may give you a good tone. Also, you could use a push/pull in one of your pots for series/parallel switching, so you can easily go back to the "normal" sound if necessary.