P style replacements with less distortion?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fdeck, Sep 23, 2005.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have a de-fretted Ibanez TR series with stock P/J pickup set. Mostly I use the P pickup for styles ranging from jazz to pop. It is presently strung with Thomastik flats.

It is not an heirloom, but a wonderful player, lightweight, well balanced, easy on the hands.

But when I really pluck hard (a tendency, since I am mainly an upright player), the pickups distort a lot. I don't like how it sounds, and I don't like having to play with a delicate touch. The pickups are not super close to the strings, and lowering them further seems to rob me of tone.

Any ideas for replacement pickups that can handle this situation?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Before you replace the pickups, check and make sure that your acoustic tone isn't distorted. GIGO isn't just for computers.

But if the acoustic sound is OK, then I recommend Fender '62 reissue pickups. I have them in 2 of my basses and they are great and inexpensive comparatively speaking.
  3. jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    It may not be the pickups distorting but simply putting out too strong a signal for whatever you are running the bass into.
    the preamp may be distoting ,try turning down the gain on your amp, or just rolling off the volume on your bass a little.