Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P Style

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Viviuos, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    I am looking to replace my p-pups on my Ibanez gsr100. (I know its not a highly prized bass but its my first and if\when i get a new one i plan on defretting this one, so i would like to keep it in shape.) The origionals are Powersound P. I am looking for something with a little bit of growl and equal low/mid/high. If anybody has any suggestions feel free to inform me. I also used the search and found next to nothing. (I may have missed what i needed though) I am very new to pickups so i know almost nothing.

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Try a Dimarzio P, they're easily available new or secondhand for a modest price and if you don't like it, it'll be easy to onsell for little or no loss.

3. tigerotool

tigerotool

Sep 30, 2004
    i have the same bass. i replaced the pup with an active emg p pickup. it sounds great now.

4. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    What would it take to do that?
    I am am (well becoming, im still in school) an electronics technician. So soldering and wiring are no big deal.

5. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    I just looked at the emg website and i am wondering, dont active pickups have more then 2 nobs. I thought they had more then that or am i completly mistaken?

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Not necessarily. There's a difference between active pickups and active preamps.
    You can have active pickups with just vol / tone controls, like the EMG diagram is showing you. If I'm installing active pickups, I'll generally put in an active preamp as well for maximum tonal versatility.

7. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    What would that require? I dont know if i am up to drilling holes in my bass just yet.

If i decide not to go active, how are the Seymour Duncan SPB-2. I have read some pretty good things about SD pups and I am wondering if it is true.

8. tigerotool

tigerotool

Sep 30, 2004
    i paid somebody to install it cause i have no idea how to wire pickups. all i have is a volume and a tone control. that's all. i'll post pictures if you need them.

9. tigerotool

tigerotool

Sep 30, 2004
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

these are nice pickups. they can be loud and noise free. they require a 9v battery just remember to unplug the bass when you're not playing. i've had the same 9v battery in there since june when i got the pickups installed and i play all the time. these pickups sound a million times better than the original powersound. i have no complaints about them.

i also have emg pickups in my guitar. 81 in bridge and an 85 in the neck. it sounds good but the 85 is like 10db louder than the 81 but they make a good combination. the guitar is still a piece of junk cause it has a tremolo which i paid a tech to stabilize but i'm still not sure that's capable of being in tune and having proper intonation.