1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P to J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xander8280, Jan 2, 2012.

1. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    Just a thought. Everyone I know whom started with a J style neck can't adjust to the Precisions width. Do you agree, or do you guys have tales to tell that dont agree? I started on precision style necks and can play back and forth with no fatigue.

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I can play on any width neck with no problem as long as its 4 or 5 strings. I go from 3/4 size upright to electric back to back all the time:) Also between my P and my Schecter (jazz-ish neck).

Although a geddy lee jazz neck is just too small for my ginormous hands.... It also makes me nervous stability wise...

3. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    What is "can`t adjust" ? I think in most cases it`s more of a "don`t want to adjust" thing.

4. I bought a J neck on e-bay and put it on my P.
    Done and done.

s

5. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    To tell the truth, I can't tell the difference between the two any more than from one J to another, or one P to another.

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I can't stand J necks. It sucks cuz I love their tone.

7. kombi

kombi

Jan 3, 2011
    Germany
    I started on a P, switched to a (thin) RIC and now I'm really uncomforatble around P necks. Even though I'd LOVE to have a Squier CV 50s, I really can't play with such a fat neck... anymore.

8. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    The neck profile/depth/shape/thickness (not really sure what to call it) is more important to how comfortable a bass feels in my hands than the nut width. But, i guess a jazz neck (and bass in general) is personal preference.

9. I'd have to agree. Just my 2 cents - for a while there, I had a J neck on every P that I owned. When putting together a frankenbass P, I even reshaped the back of a Mighty Mite J neck to make it thinner (front to back), convinced that it was the way to go if I wanted to play comfortably.

Over the past few months I've been playing a dead stock Squier Affinity P, and TBH I've just adapted to the wider nut width and fatter neck contour. I don't even notice it now. The first few days of playing were an adjustment, but now a P neck feels completely normal.

10. Bear_Bass

Bear_Bass

Dec 28, 2011
    it works both ways i think. I started on a P neck, played around with my J and just couldn't play quite the same. Now all my J's have a P neck which still allows me to get a J tone, with the comfort of a P bass:hyper:

11. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    I find this topic rather interesting as I started on a P and all of my main players have been P variants (P neck profile and a P pickup... whether or not it's a PJ is irrelevant.)

I've tried to get on with J basses but I never quite gel with them (I can play them fine with no issues or fatigue, I just feel far more at home with the P sound and feel.)

I hold the opinion that given enough time most people can adjust to a new instrument... some just prefer to stay with what they know.

12. After playing a 5 string for a while, any 4 neck is ok I don't notice a huge difference.

13. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    A confirmed 4-stringer myself, I've found that both can feel okay, but a neck that's right in between the two will routinely fit like home-sweet-home for me. A nut width of 1 5/8" along with enough depth (amount of wood underneath the fingerboard) to feel solid without being "clunky" is simply r-i-g-h-t for me.

My current go-to bass has that neck size, but the ultimate compromise wouldn't be complete without... that's right... P/J electronics!

Happy & Healthy New Year to all.

14. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    image-2259412213.

Yeah, i love my PJ setup. Reissue pickups by fender, '62 precision pickup, and a '75 alnico reissue from fender. White covers on them, and the '63 style stacked pots.
    Its my mix of 60's and 70's jazz bass with my love of the precision tone. Don't get me wrong, I love the meanness of the jazz's neck pickup, but I prefer the precision over it.