1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P to MM swap?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gypsygeek, Apr 20, 2006.

1. gypsygeek

gypsygeek

Jan 29, 2006
    Anyone had any luck swapping a MM-style pickup for a P? It looks like the classic MM location is closer to the bridge, but I wonder how one would sound in a P position...

TIA!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

A P in that Position sounds brighter among other things but it's a bit moot cuase a P pup won't fit in an MM routing (at least not 4 string) cuase the P pups are considerably wider.

Personally I'll take an MM tone over P, from the P pups I've had anyway - about a dozen of them (Celinder, Alembic, Fender Custom Shop, 1/4 pdr, Barts, among others).

3. gypsygeek

gypsygeek

Jan 29, 2006
    Sorry - my original post wasn't worded too well. I have a bass w/ a single P, and I'm considering routing out the body so I can install a MM in the P position. Any thoughts on the sound?

4. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Keep the P and add the MM in the usual MM position. :)

5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

aparantly that wont fit unless you "reverse" the P, ive not done it myself, but ive also considered doing this.

theres this guy on the forums that did it to a squire P bass, im sure he will comment on the sound

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've moved P's all over the place and reversed them and moved MM's a little bit.

Everybody's different and changing any variable can alter that but in general I like bridge tone - basically brighter, clearer, punchier kind of tone.

P's have been a handful for me but in general so far I've found I actually prefer them set back closer to the bridge half their width. So like the neck half located where the bridge half usually is. Reveresed on not depends on the pup and it's qualities. That's just using a single P. Moving them back farther in my experience was always too something - but in general tended be airy and bright, an unclear bright tone basically.

MM's I also prefer set back toward the bridge a bit, pretty much lining up the bridge coil row where a bridge J would typicaly be.

So I personally wouldn't be phased one bit if I had to moved the MM back a bit to clear the P. You'll have the P to pickup anything you'd loose from the MM for the most part.

Blabbling still more, unless you have to have an MM tone, I'd go with a J pup because with MM's I've found 3 basic tones, alnico, ceramic, and Bart/LP. Granted they're tones of their own (and you can run single back and a J-type tone) but with J's there are so many variations (thin, fat, bright, dark, whatever) that you can swap them out to alter your tone to meet your needs at the time - especially having a P to blend as needed (or the other way around depending on your tastes). I've even mounted a pair of Bart J's side by side at the bridge and they sounded like a Bart MM.

In a nutshell, that's my experience in this realm anyway.

7. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Reversed P's sound the best! Seriously, it's a far more balanced sound. It smoothes out the top two strings and tightens up the bottom two.

This is also how EMG and Bartolini do split coil humbuckers inside their soap bar cases.

When I play a non reversed P, I can hear a distinct difference between the two halves, which I find annoying. The top two strings sound thin.

If I were to build basses using P pickups, I would reverse the two halves.

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx