P tone pickup on a combustion 4 string

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Basstro1978, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Basstro1978

Basstro1978

Mar 6, 2017
    Hey,
    Does anybody know or has any suggestions which pickup I could install in my Dingwall Combustion 4 string to get a P Bass sound, and it has to be passive. I play Rock and Blues and need that sound. I have a 7ender P Bass, but the Dingwall plays like hell, special in drop tuning.
    Thx

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I'd imagine the Dingwal FD3 P-tone would fit that perfectly. But I have zero experience with it, so I don't know how close it gets you. It's just high on my "want to try" list...That, or the Super P, if they ever make a Combustion version of it. Maybe they'd sell you the Super P pickups? Might require some extra routing, but would probably get you even closer. Finally, I wonder if just any old P pickup would fit in there...

3. Basstro1978

Basstro1978

Mar 6, 2017
    Thank you for the suggestion

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

The P-tone sounds kind of like a single coil P pickup. It doesn't really sound like a split coil P in my opinion. I have one in the neck position on my ABZ4. I do much prefer the P-tone over the stock FD-3 though.

5. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Good to know that + it helps with unneeded GAS :) I suppose in the end, soapbars physically cannot house two large enough coils to do the P thing. Plus, I wonder how much the extra scale length(s) influence the sound, especially on the EA side.

6. Basstro1978

Basstro1978

Mar 6, 2017
    What about the Big Split (soapbar) form Nordstrand, I could get a custom one made for my Dingwall for 120$?

7. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I only played BigSingles, but its similarly not convincing as a split P. It's designed to sound like "jazz on steroids", and BigSplits are just a humcancelling version. I remember reading Nordstrand thinks their Dual Coil sounds most like a P, but I could be wrong. That said, BigSplit might be a great option nevertheless.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022