Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p/u tones and configurations

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Casey C., Jul 29, 2002.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I'm looking to build a warmoth bass and there's just soo many options but the one that bugs me the most is pickups. I don't know what I want for the electronics. Passive or active, MM, MM+J J+J, or P+J? I can't remember what each one sounds like. I think I liked the MM but it's been awhile. I have J+J on my carvin and I have neutral feelings for it. I'm curious to hear J+MM. Opinions are helpful. :)

2. I just built a gecko MM +J pictures will be up on this site tommrow. Sounds great even before I set it up. Warmoth is a great company to have help you design a bass, Brian talked me out of a passive single coil neck pick up and I have to thank him for that. They worked with my crazy ideas and the results are sitting in a special place on my wall.

Email me if you have specific questions, and if you can give me more info on your style of playing, tones you like, favorite player I might be able to better suggest electronics. Otherwise I am personally a big Duncan fan.

3. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    Well here's my info:

Style: I play pretty hard, I like to have the bridge set high. I strum with my fingers (sometimes all 4) and I use my pickups as rests all the time. I could buy a rest for my fingers if the pup's are uncomfortable.

I'm looking for a tone simular to Geezer Butler's tone on Black Sabbath's "Reunion" Performance. I also like Jason Newsted (Metallica) and Frank Bello (Anthrax).

The bands I'm looking at joining are hard rock. They play things that range from Metallica to Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Hopefully that helps :)

oh, I almost forgot, I would like a nice fat punchy tone.

4. Sadowsky is what you want :D

A friend of mine has one, doesnt get much better than that.

But I think you could get a nice fat sound out of a P+J config.

I would go with J+MM or P+J

5. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    It's lookin toward P+J for my warmoth project. I'm also thinking about doing a carvin bolt on kit so I would do the J+MM for that one.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Also check out 2 humbuckers, P+P and P+MM.

Killer rock tones out of all of those.

Peace
    Nick

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Pickup type has a certain impact on the sound, and so does EQs.

Pickup, or rather, coil position has a stunning impact on sound.
    That is the distance between the coil and the fretting point. This determines the movement of the string right over the coil, which determines how much you amplifie of each harmonic, which determines the richness of the sound. Oh my, this is a mess....

How about two MMs?;)

8. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I'm trying to keep the project keep also. Anything with the MM is expensive, except it's self (But I haven't shopped around either).

9. MM pick ups are fairly cheap at warmoth

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    EMG's are a good idea, especially for rock.

Peace
    Nick