1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P.U. Truck rack for DB

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jaff, Mar 1, 2008.

1. jaff

jaff

Jun 7, 2006
    Arizona
    I have a Toyota shortbed p.u. and wonder if there is a good transportation rack design out there.

2. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    I have a canopy and the bass fits nicely in the bed. Bunjie cords through the handles of the case, and around any amps to the handles on the rails work just fine.

3. I've often wondered about the idea of putting a bass on top of my car. I already have rack bars for snowboards and bikes and such... If you could attach them on their sides, man, you could carry a couple at least! Just watch those low-clearance parking garages and drive-throughs! :p

4. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I use my standard Yakima roof rack on a regular basis to carry instruments. For or five 6-9' camstraps, of the type you would use to secure your kayak work great and lock it down solid. For a couple of decades I used to run commercial rafting trips on most of the big western rivers. A such, I've got huge drybags that will fit my guitar sized instruments. They always go into the drybag if they get any roof time.

Jack's Plastic Welding, in Aztec New Mexico, makes some of the most durable drybags you could ever imagine; I've had many instruments stay dry afer huge flips and carnage on the river. I once took a hit so hard in Lava Falls on the Grand Canyon that my guitar and the guitar case were smashed to pieces, but the contents stayed dry after being submerged for longer than I'd like to admit. Jack's will custom weld you an indestructable weather proof beast that should fit your bass in the case for roughly $400. It took a decade of commercial use at approximately 130 days a year to destroy the first one I had. Even then it never leaked, I just knew it was near the end of the line.

I always wanted to take an old aluminum AlCoA bass down the Grand Canyon....that would solve your roof mounted worries also....

j.