P Vs. Hotrodded P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowfreqB, Dec 1, 2000.

1. LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I got the gas today and demo'd a bunch o' basses at guitar center. I settled on my love for the P Bass (usa) and the likewise Hotrodded P Bass. I love the low tight rumble of the P Bass! (string thru body feels really tight!) It reminds of the 1st bass I ever plugged in, a 74ish P bass with a similar Hotrod set up. I ask P bass owners and fellow demoites o' P basses which do YOU prefer.

oh and for p.s. sake I tried the warwick basses because of the hype on talkbass, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm weird little instrument. :)))
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'd take the regular P over the HotRod simply because I personally don't find the J pickup adds anything to the party.
  3. I have both standard P & P/J config. Fenders.
    I love both, although I find the later more versatile.
    If you don’t need it, you can always keep the volume down on the J pup until the time comes that you do.
  4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!

I love the simplicity of my USA 'P',and the string through body and graphite reinforced neck really do something for it.
  5. LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    Thanks for your thoughts, I have to second the notion for the string through body design. REALLY TIGHT! I wish my stingray offered the same design these days.
  6. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I prefer the standard P over the HR.I think the P pup on it sounds better to me than the HR's.The added versatility of the HR is overated.Good luck!
  7. I have a USA Fender P and I think it's pretty cool. Works fine for jazz and rock and blues or whatever. I've played a Hot Rod, but one with bad strings, so my opinion wouldn't help you here.
  8. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    I think the most important thing is getting a bass that works for you. Lately there have been some great deals on the HRP. What attracted me was the more aggressive tone I am able to get from the bass than my fretless.

Just to clear things up both basses have string through bridges and graphite necks. I compared the specs and besides color, the pick guard material and the extra pickup they appear identical. It comes down to whether YOU like J pickups...a highly subjective thing.

9. not to mangle with your thread too much, but i'd like to know what's everyone's opinion of the Fender P Deluxe (MIM) which has a PJ setup, and a Jazz neck, not P neck. What do you think of it compared to a P?

i was wondering that if anyone with one noticed if the E string was a little looser than the rest of the strings, cause on my MIM Jazz, the E string seems to be a little more "Floppy" i use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's (45-105), switched over from GHS Boomers (medium, 45-105) and that seem'd to fix the problem a bit. this occurs on all Jazz basses i've played (MIM) but havnt noticed it on the P's. Any reason why? (i feel the difference when i'm playing with a pick the most, and slightly notice it when playing finger style)
  10. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    Like Spike, I own both. I love the Precision in it's standard configuration, but the HR-P's bridge p/u adds that extra bit of clarity when I want it. Otherwise, my HR-P sounds like a big, fat Precision should!

Find the sound you like. :)