1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P vs. J (but different this time - I swear!!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GK Growl, Oct 10, 2013.

1. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    5 string P vs. 5 string J. For those of you using rounds on your basses, which one do you prefer for overall B string clarity? Got my eye on the new VM P5 and J5.

2. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    Guys,

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their responses. It means so much to me that the talkbass community is always ready to help fellow bassists out with their gear purchases.

Without the insight that all your educated responses have provided me, I might still be undecided as to which one to get.

:bag:

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    You are very welcome.

4. I've been thoroughly unimpressed with the low B on the American P5. I think the Jazz takes the cake for clarity of that specific string. But who knows? I've never played the VM P5. Their J5 is pretty good though, if it's set up right.

5. Maybe everything to be said on this topic has already been said? :bag:

:D

3 of my basses are a P5, a J5 and a PJ5. The B is great on all of them. The one I tend to favor and find most versatile is the PJ5. Though they have their uses, I've never really made my peace with straight Jazz basses in general. To my ears, the P/J gets that P sound that I love, and dialing in some J helps to make it punch more when needed. My guess is that having something with a Bridge pickup will add to perceived 'clarity' (relative term).

If looking at VM's, you might oughtta take a gander at that thar Jaguar 5 string.

6. Yeah, the lack of response is so strange. I just can't imagine anyone rolling their eyes and taking a pass on this profound and tempting topic. :rollno:

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Um, maybe noone has both the J5 and P5.

I own the P5 and like the B string fine, clear and well defined to my ears. I got it after owning a few other 5s including the first gen AmDlx J5 which I just hated.

I'm a P guy and wanted a 5, the AmStd P5 delivers on that. Seems kind of silly to compare the two...even if a J5 has a tighter B string, if I'm after the P sound that's not very helpful :help:

8. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Wait a minute....this isn't the bass humor section!

:rolleyes:

9. How is this one different from the other million?:confused:

10. Cuz it says so right in the title "(but different this time - I swear!!)"

:D