1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P VS J deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Could someone please explain to me the fundamental sound difference between a fender P and a fender Jazz bass?

I know the pickups and their placement are different, but I'm trying to understand what effect this has on the tone?

I'm looking specifically at the MIA deluxe P/Jazz...

I like to slap, but I play in a heavy rock band, which is better for me?

2. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    they sound and feel very different.

they're common enough, i recommend you play them. it'll be obvious

3. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    The search function is a godlike tool.

4. thanx guys

5. I did a search, but for some reason I couldn't find much on the actual sound differences between the two? everyone seems to say that the jazz is more versatile and the p is that typical rock bass sound?

what I want to know is can the p get a good slap tone and can the jazz get that rough growl like the p?

6. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    When I slap on the P-bass I don't really seem to get a pleasent sound. It's kinda like a strange honk. The jazz bass can growl like no other. Listen to Rush and you get a taste of this. Rush - Limelight.

7. myrockinbass

myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    In my opinion, the position of the pickup on the bass tends to pick up the tones in that area. For example, a string plucked near the bridge sounds very different than plucked by the neck. The J combination focuses on these two areas where the P seems to split the difference. At least to my ears.
    I play a P bass with a J pickup near the bridge.

8. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    You can get a geat slap tone with a P+J combination.

9. indeed. The man speaks the truth.

10. myrockinbass

myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    The PJ combo has never done me wrong, wish it was a five string though. I like the sound of a passive bass and my five is active.

11. when you say a pj combination, do you mean a p neck pup with a jazz bridge pup like the MIA Fender P Deluxe?

12. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    [​IMG]

A P pickup J pickup combination.

13. Awsome - I tried out one of those the other day and it sounded sweeeeet!