Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P VS J deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Could someone please explain to me the fundamental sound difference between a fender P and a fender Jazz bass?

I know the pickups and their placement are different, but I'm trying to understand what effect this has on the tone?

I'm looking specifically at the MIA deluxe P/Jazz...

I like to slap, but I play in a heavy rock band, which is better for me?

2. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    they sound and feel very different.

they're common enough, i recommend you play them. it'll be obvious

3. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    The search function is a godlike tool.

4. I did a search, but for some reason I couldn't find much on the actual sound differences between the two? everyone seems to say that the jazz is more versatile and the p is that typical rock bass sound?

what I want to know is can the p get a good slap tone and can the jazz get that rough growl like the p?

5. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    When I slap on the P-bass I don't really seem to get a pleasent sound. It's kinda like a strange honk. The jazz bass can growl like no other. Listen to Rush and you get a taste of this. Rush - Limelight.

6. myrockinbass

myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    In my opinion, the position of the pickup on the bass tends to pick up the tones in that area. For example, a string plucked near the bridge sounds very different than plucked by the neck. The J combination focuses on these two areas where the P seems to split the difference. At least to my ears.
    I play a P bass with a J pickup near the bridge.

7. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    You can get a geat slap tone with a P+J combination.

8. indeed. The man speaks the truth.

9. myrockinbass

myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    The PJ combo has never done me wrong, wish it was a five string though. I like the sound of a passive bass and my five is active.

10. when you say a pj combination, do you mean a p neck pup with a jazz bridge pup like the MIA Fender P Deluxe?

11. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    [​IMG]

A P pickup J pickup combination.

12. Awsome - I tried out one of those the other day and it sounded sweeeeet!