1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P vs. J in the studio

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Audiophage, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Why are Precision Basses supposed to be better basses for studio recordings, while Jazzes are said to be better live?

2. who told you that??

3. Beachcoma

Beachcoma

Mar 19, 2007
    Utrecht
    Indeed, SMACK HIM!!!:bassist: :eek: :bag:

4. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    because P's sound a bit fatter whereas a Jazz will cut a bit more in live situations.

5. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS / KIRLIN CABLE
    Get a bass with a PJ configuration then you have the best of both worlds!!!:D

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    P's are better for EVERYTHING that I want to play, live or in the studio. :)

7. again it comes down to personal preference.

i choose p\j both live and for recording. make sure you get a humbucking jazz pickup though :D

8. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Where do these pearls of wis"dumb" come from???

9. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Why do apples taste better in the house, while oranges taste better at the office?

10. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    This one belongs in the Legends That Will Not Die thread.

Actually, P Basses were around before J Basses, and recording engineers, being conservative at heart, were more used to getting them on tape. This is my guess.

11. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Why is yellow the opposite of green???:confused:

12. I've always found pbasses to be better for DI or direct input in recording and jazz basses to be better when using a mic to a cabinet. There's a lot of grey area however, but generally i've found that to be the case with my own personal taste in music.

13. I dont like recording using a P bass, yuk!

14. ArmyPunkGuy

ArmyPunkGuy

Dec 25, 2006
    if you're gonna bash the guy for asking an honest question why don't you just not answer at all; leave the guy be

15. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    The P pup is humbucker, so less hum is always a plus on studio.

16. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Sorry if my comment sounded that way. I didn't mean it toward the poster. He mentioned hearing that from others, so I was trying to demonstrate the obsurdity of their suggestions.

17. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I always prefer a P in the studio than a J... I like the grinding low-mid sound I can get out of it. Sounds great in a metal mix :)

18. ArmyPunkGuy

ArmyPunkGuy

Dec 25, 2006
    not a problem man sorry to sound so aggresive

19. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005

I'm not trying to start an argument between the two, but I've heard the claim that P's do better in the studio, and was curious if or how this was true.

In hindsight, how could I be so ignorant? This is the internet after all.

20. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    Producers are not crazy or conservative in preferring a p to a j. The J imo seems to go higher and lower in the frequency range than a p and it has a midrange scoop (or at least a perceived one) right where the pbass signature sound resides. This fuller low mid range combined with less highs and fewer lower lows makes the pbass sit in the mix beautifully.

IME what makes the Sadowsky J bass the only bass I am aware of that producers seem to like as well, or at least almost as well, as a p, is that the signature Sadowsky sound occupies a bit more low midrange than a stock Fender J. As a result, it has the bottom and cut that players like about Jbasses, but it sits in the mix a bit more like a pbass does (assuming the player doesn't get out of control with the preamp). I have tried several basses in different recording environments and for some reason, when I get back the mastered finished product, I am always most satisfied with tracks done with a pbass or a Sadowsky J.

Granted, this discussion mostly applies to certain styles of music (i.e., rock, country, etc.), in fusion or gospel the requirements of the bass sound change dramatically.

bencue73 likes this.