P vs J

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassBeginner85, Sep 30, 2005.

1. BassBeginner85

Sep 27, 2005
    I play guitar and lately bass also interests me, I want to get a bass! The thing is, I know nothing about them really, What is the differece between P-bass and J-bass, sound wise, I know what they look like. I mostly would play rock, and would have to say Flea bassist hero I would most want to emulate. Thanks for the help in advance!
  2. 4stringrookie

Sep 26, 2005
    well, I was in the same boat. I picked the J-Bass and purchased an Sx J-bass from Rondo Music, 116 bucks shipped.

I am using the Bass for home recording and to backup our Bass player who had surgery. The Bass is fun. Ive had it several days and man do my fingers hurt....Im addicted...!

3. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    A J can come closer to a P than a P can come to a J. But if you really like the deep thump of P, get a P.

Rondo has a P-J which looks interesting for the price. A G&L SB-2 is a really great sound PJ bass as well.

4. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    If you havent read the link yet, ill give you a quick run down

P (precision) bass is used by HEAPS of popular rock and punk bands. It has a deep punchier kind of sound

J (jazz) bass has an offset (the base is not flat) body making it sexier. It has a slimmer neck and two pickups giving it tonal verstality. Its sound is more in the mids and trebles.]

Personally i like the p bass better. Not saying i don't like the j, i love it im going to get one. However i think the best way to start is on a p.. or p bass special which is a mix of both!
  5. I was recently in your shoes.

I went with a PJ style bass.

Since choosing a PJ style I've had a difficult time enjoying most P basses as I always miss the versitility of being able to blend in the bridge J.
  6. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i love my P, it's got that motown feel (more like a part of the drum kit).
    but i'm getting a fretless J because i feel like there's more tonal expressivity there.
    so the answer for me is that they are both good.
  7. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    Totaly agree with narcopolo, exactly how i would haave said it
    P=Bass Drum
    J=Tonal Versatality

I have a P/J style and im pretty happy! It sounds like a P but stil has variety :bassist: