Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P vs.J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scottos150, Jan 6, 2002.

1. What are the differances in sound from the Fender J-bass and the P-bass and wich one would be better for hard rock?Thanks

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Search the archive here and at www.fenderforum.com. This question has been asked billions of times.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    So subjective... but I'll give it a go :D

P-Bass - Very fundamental, deep, round tone. Humbucking pickup located in a place of high string excursion gives it, in the immortal words of Bass NW, 'A distinctive, punchy tone'...

J-Bass - a more customizable tone due to two single-coil pickups placed in two distinctly different areas of the body and the ability to blend them together to varying degrees... again 'A distinctive, punchy tone'...

Which one I prefer depends upon the moment... They've both been used to play everything out there at one time or another, and while I wouldn't necessarily say that one was better than the other for a certain style of music, the P does seem to be in the hands of more hard rockers...

YMMV

-robert

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If you're asking this question, you're probably a newbie (no offense meant, just an observation). If you are a newbie, subtleties of tone probably aren't critical to you (and besides, both P's and J's are used for hard rock).

With that in mind, here's my two cents: unless you have very small hands, I recommend the Precision simply because the Jazz bass neck is very narrow, and a lot of players who become accustomed to very narrow string spacing find it very difficult to adjust to medium or wide string spacing later on.

5. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    My first bass was a Jazz Bass style instrument. The neck was very thin.

After that, I jumped right over to a G&L L-2000, which has a very thick neck. The different sizes definitely made a difference at first, but after a week or two, it didn't matter.