1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P vs. J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paradog, Jan 2, 2012.

1. paradog

paradog

Dec 25, 2011
    Central NJ
    Ok I've been noticing that there seems to be more used Fender Jazz basses being sold than Fender Precisions. Is there a reason for this? Or is this just fluke of late?

I really want to get my first Fender but I am torn between which one. :help:

Is there really a big difference between the US and Mex models? Or does it come down to some ideal of BUY AMERICAN?

2. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Welcome to TB dog. Unfortunately, the P vs J question is asked daily. Play them both. Pick one. To answer your first question: fluke. Second question: yes. Third question: buy from whomever your heart desires. I'm sure you'll get more detailed answers than mine.

4. Those who know, know which one to pick.

5. paradog

paradog

Dec 25, 2011
    Central NJ
    Thanks for the replies and sorry for the repeated topic.

6. S'okay, it happens.
    I would suggest you do a search on the subject here on the forum and you'll get enuff threads about the subject with all the info you could possibly ever want or need.

7. jaguar77

jaguar77

May 9, 2011
    Tip: get the roadworn Jazz, best bass I've ever played, definitely a keeper. Some might not like the relic look but the sound and feel are awesome.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I can already tell you're going to be a popular guy here.

9. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    I have owned many p and j style basses. Comes down to personal preference really. The p bass is my favorite though. Absolutely love my '69 Fender P to death.

Or just find out what neck and body you like and get a pj setup in it. Best of both worlds right there.

10. This part of your question is fairly easy to answer. There is a difference in the quality level of the MIA (US) manufactured models versus the MIM (Mexican) models but not nearly as much as their price difference would indicate. The MIA Standard PBass is not twice as good as the MIM Standard PBass but it still costs twice as much.

The various threads comparing these differences can be found all over this site so there's not much need to repeat them here.

Which model to buy is all a matter of preference. The PBass is more of a one trick pony tonally compared to the Jazz Bass but that one trick is a very good one. Play them both and see which you prefer. There's enough of a distinction between them that you should find one preferable to the other. Good hunting.

11. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Whichever you get... you'll want the other one shortly after ;)