P vs Jazz for BEAD.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LT131, Nov 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Well, my country band is delving further and further into Modern Country and it is full of 5 string stuff. I do not really want to buy a 5 but an intrigued by the though of a BEAD setup. Got the perfect neck for it laying around already. Here's the questions.

I see many more 5vers in a Jazz type than Pbass. Are they just better suited to low B's? If I need to pick up a Jazz body how are the MIM's in terms of PU's and hardware. Would I be better to get a Squire CV which I have heard positive things about?

I will be using a P neck which, according to another current thread, could cause complications with galactic consequences if paired with the Jazz. A TB warning will be issued if I go the Jazz route.

gsquare likes this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

If you want the low to sound even lower, the Precision.

3. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Personally, I'd go J even though I'm more of a P guy. That back pup can really help define the low B if needed.

4. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I'd definitely go with a Precision, I don't know how much if any tension turning a 4 string into a BEAD bass adds but Precision necks are a LOT stronger and thicker sounding. Woops just reread your post, I would still go with a Precision for the thicker tone.

alesreaper9 likes this.
  5. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    I'm a P guy but vote J for low B. The bridge pickup brings clarity to the lowest notes. PJ could also be an option to consider.

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Check some vids on YouTube to see which sounds best to you. Personally, I vote J since it'll give you a bit more options to shape the low end.

7. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    None; in fact it subtracts quite a lot... :D
    My post from a P+BEAD thread, with a link to another:
    The above written, I'd be interesting in trying a BEAD-tuned PJ, as Mushroo mentioned.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  8. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    no warning for me :Dget a 5er!!

03042017106 - Copie.jpg

MM rocks on a 5er and BEAD too :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wise(b)ass

McFarlin and Pbassmanca like this.
  9. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Interesting, I thought the opposite.

10. I'll confirm this. When I went from standard tuned 50-115 to 70-128 BEAD on my EB-0L, the tension decreased by quite a margin, and I had to loosen the truss rod.

As for the OP's question: my vote goes to Jazz Bass between the two. The two pickup setting will definitely help define the sound of that low B string more precisely.

hintz, bobyoung53 and HaphAsSard like this.
  11. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    It comes up fairly frequently, so you're not alone in the least. Still, the equal tension pairings I provided above, namely .04" G = .135" B - actually scratch that and adjust to .13" B* -, .045" G = .145 B and so on, are more or less supported by tension charts by every string manufacturer who bothered to put out one:
    http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf (also see their "family tension charts", e.g. here, with updated tension values - the .pdf is oldish)
    http://www.ghsrep.net/uploads/2/2/2/5/22258814/ghs_bass_string_guide.pdf
    http://store.kaliumstrings.com/TensionCalculator/tensionChart.php?scale_length=34
    with occasional exceptions (for example GHS Bass Boomers appear to have a more massive than usual .13").
    *So yeah, indeed you may have a tension increase if you went from a EADG tuning with a 40 G and a BEAD tuning with identical EAD and a 135 low B, but usually a slight one. If, on the other hand, one's G string of choice (heads out of gutters please) is .045" or thicker, no low B under .145 has higher tension.

EDIT - I've reread that quoted post of mine and I'd actually said it right the first time, no real need to correct it: "[ i]f [...] your usual G on that bass is a .04, after removing it [...] and effectively replacing it with a B, the latter is not gonna be tighter than the G unless it has a gauge of .135 or higher". :D

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    ajkula66 and bobyoung53 like this.
  12. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Go with whatever you prefer for EADG tuning, the basic character will be the same.
    A bridge pickup does help to add some overtones and clarity/definition to the low B.

I converted my Jazz to BEAD for a while when I started playing more modern country, but eventually I found myself missing the high G enough to switch to a 5-string for that band.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    gsquare, Wisebass and five7 like this.
  13. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    J for sure. That's coming from a P man.

NKBassman likes this.
  14. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I do 4 string P and octave pedal. Sounds amazing and i dont lose a G string or need a low B.

For lows i just play low E string. 7th fret and up when i need a boomer. Just have to be good with turning the pedal on and off.

lowdownthump likes this.
  15. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Makes perfect sense - the more tension on a string, the higher the frequency, so the G is the highest tension string of the set. Removing it and replacing it with a floppy old B string should relieve a lot of tension.

16. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    That's how I'm handling it now. But, I would like to use my pedal more as an effect. Basically I'm trying to create an excuse to build another bass!

gsquare likes this.
  17. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Also depends on the physical construction of the string... material selection, round VS hex core, etc...
    Generally B strings are substantially lower tension than the rest of the set, though. I typically prefer large B strings (0.135ish) compared to what is usually provided in most 5-string sets.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  18. River Runner

River Runner

Sep 23, 2014
    I think it just has to do with the P pickup (being split) doesn't lend itself to 5 as easily as a J pickup. On a split P, do you make one half wider than the other half? And if so, does the wider half have longer windings (higher DC resistance - different resonant peak?). There is no real standard for a 5 string P pickup. EMG makes both halves the same size but with a wider rail under the three string side (and I see these get installed incorrectly as it's not visible which side has the wider rail) and Yamaha makes one side wider with three sets of pole pieces and different winding length/resistance. etc.

At least that's my take on why the 5 string P isn't as common P_5.png

NKBassman likes this.
  19. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I had a P/J strung BEAD many years ago and I seem to remember liking it just fine.

As others have stated, the basic characteristics of P or J-ness remain even when you switch to BEAD, so whichever you prefer should work equally well. You may, in fact, have a bit more clarity from the bridge p'up of a J, but the prominent mids of a P p'up will still do fine IMO.

For the record, putting a P neck on a J body has never resulted in getting struck by lightning as far as I know, but I'm not saying it couldn't happen! ;)

gsquare and knumbskull like this.
  20. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Both will work fine, but what surprised me is how well a P takes low tunings. I took mine down to low A and that low mid bump worked great.

Of course it depends on what kind of sound you need - each one will sound like what it is.

gsquare likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022