P vs. Jazz fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Alexander, Mar 6, 2006.

1. I have been wanting to get a fretless for a long time now, and I cant decide to get either a Jazz or Precision (SX). What would the differences in sound be like? I generally like the fretted P-bass tone more than a fretted jazz, but I am concerned that the P might be a little too muddy on a fretless. Thoughts anyone?

ps- These are the two basses I am considering:

2. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    For what it's worth, the bridge pickup really sounds great for fretless. I would cast my ballot for Jazz for fretless.
  3. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Being the owner of a P-bass fretless... my vote goes to the jazz bass.. Fretless P-basses sound GREAT.. ut Dbassmon is right, nothing beats a jazz bass pickup on a fretless ;)... There was this guy, you might have heard something about him. I think his name was Jaco ;) yea he preferred it too!
  4. Thanks guys. I have a feeling that a SX Jazz fretless with ashtrays will be in my grubby little hands fairly soon :bassist: .
  5. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Actually, a PJ fretless might not be a horrible idea.
  6. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    That's what I was thinking. It's the best of both worlds.

How often to you hear of soloing the neck pickup on a jazz for any other reason than to get a Pbass tone? Basically, a Jazz is known for the bridge-soloed sound, so I think that a fretless PJ would be fantastic.

I've been planning a fretless PJ SX project for a while, and it's soon to be in the works. :D
  7. Bridge Pickup all the way, so my vote is for the JAZZ
  8. +1
  9. Chazzz

Jan 27, 2006
    Spokane, WA
    If we're only supposed to consider the two SX machines, then:
    +1 - Jazz

But a fretless PJ can be nice (mine was.. YMMV) - +1 for PJ
  10. -Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I agree with the jazz. as a owner of a fretless P i just wish i could get the Jaco tone, but alas it always eludes me. has something to do with the bridge pickup. get the jazz
  11. steve21

steve21 Banned

J's I tink give a better fretless tone, but my P fretless sounds REALLY woody and stuff. It's also mega bassy for some reason.
  12. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    if you like the old school fender pbass sound you'll probably like the pbass better. If you like that midrangy "jaco" sound you'll probably want a jazz. A pbass can better approximate an upright tone though.
  13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Tony Franklin's unique tone and new signature model certainly lend credence to the idea that P and P/J fretlesses have a place in the market.

If I had to choose just one it would be a J as I've found the Jazz sound to be my idealized tone... but if I had some extra money lying around I very well might have Nino build me a custom Dinky P based on Tony's signature (the full-sized body and lack of inlaid lines are unfortunately two strikes against it).
  14. Thanks for all of the info guys. I like the old-school P sound a lot, but I think that I would want more of a Jaco-esque tone for a fretless. So J-bass it is! :bassist: