Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P vs. PJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Jun 12, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I am putting a Jazz neck on my P-Bass so it'll be a little more comfortable and I'll play it more. The thing is, I don't know if I really like the P-Bass pickups. I really love my Jazz, and it's sound, so would it be worth it to route the P to make it a PJ set-up? What is everyone's opinions on the PJ set-up?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think that instead of changing the neck and pickups on your P-Bass, you should just sell it and then go shopping for a bass you'll be more happy with right off the rack ;) .

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I kind of have to agree, I mean, think about how much the cost for the drilling of it and all will be (unless you can do that yourself), then the price of the pickup, if you have to take it somewhere to get it wired right etc. etc. I think that if you don't like the sound of the P's, maybe go looking at how much a J (bass) will cost you then see how much you can get for your current bass and if you have enough after wards, I'd say go for it. But, that's just a 16 year-olds opinion...

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Thanks, but I'll be keeping this bass. It's just a Yamaha P-clone, so it wouldn't bring to much of a price, and it was my first bass, so I want to use it. The routing and wiring and all will be no problem, and I'll get the neck at dealer cost, plus I've been planning on that anyways. I've already got a set of Jazz pups I can put in if I do go that route. So really, this won't cost me anymore that the price of the neck, which will be cheap.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

PJ setups are cool, but IMO it would be better to get a set of matched PJ pups, with the J pup being a humbucker.

Your jazz pups are probably single coils, which can be noisy when used individually. Also, the P pup will probably overwhelm the jazz pup (unless the P pup happens to be very low output).

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    While the extra single coil in the bridge position will add some bite, treble, punch, presence, and tonal flexability, there are also some down-sides. Althought this is a popular mod, the are some good reasons to stay with one or the other (2 J single coils or 1 split P). By adding a single Jazz pick-up, there can be some phase issues and some frequencies can become "cancelled out" when both pickups are used. Essentially, what happens is that you lose part of the tonal spectrum of your bass, or the bass can sound a little thin. Personally, I don't really care for this bastardized approach...I like to keep my Ps and Js separate (much like my peanut butter and my chocolate). However, if you like it and it works for you...sobeit. I would recommend going to a Fender dealer that has a Jazz, Precision, and a half-breed all in stock, sitting down, and playing them against each other to see what you like the best.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Its your bass do as you wish with it.