1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P&W band arrangement - what is your opinion

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by praisebass, Apr 7, 2015.

1. praisebass

praisebass

Aug 20, 2009
    Missouri
    Folks,

I want to get your opinion. Does the trumpet detract from our enhance this tune?

20150405 My Redeemer Lives outro:

I love the guy playing trumpet and I love the music director but the trumpet here sounds like undirected noodling and I find it distracting and just not good. I'm the bassist here but I'm also a trumpet player having played in jazz band and orchestra through senior year of college. I know the instrument and I have a bias toward tight arrangements.

Am I letting my personal bias get to me or is the horn here just not good.

Be nice please but be honest.

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    The trumpet is such a loud instrument that it's hard to get it to not dominate :( . He definitely should be using a mute IMO.

3. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I basically agree that it's not the greatest, but not that bad either in that context. It's amateurish in that he overplays. Even something simple like just playing on the chorus would make his playing stand out more and add some variety to the music. It's not what he plays, or the overall mix, it's that he just plays too much, IMO.

4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Imagine being the cellist! I bet she was ready to drop the trumpet player by the end of that.

I'll go with klokker's assessment - the trumpet was overplaying, but so was pretty much everyone else and that's on on top of the four part vocal harmony all the way through. No dynamics in that song at all. Trumpet just cut thru the mix more than anything else.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

He's playing over the singing. I personally don't like it but that's just my opinion.

6. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    Yeah, my Dad played trumpet in our praise band when I was younger and he always did two things. Make sure his volume fit the mix and never overplayed. It really tightened up the sound when he would match melody lines etc with some of the other instruments and a lot of the time he would just add smooth accent lines to "fill out" the song. Sounds like your guy needs to learn some control.