1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P5 pickup replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by smeet, Mar 27, 2015.

1. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I know variations of this question have been asked many times, but this is for a 5-string and there's not too much info there.

I have a *wonderful* Nordstrand VP5 bass, one-piece maple neck and ash body, NP5 pickup.
    It sounds HUGE. A little too huge actually. It has very deep lows and a lot of upper mid grind. While it sounds great, I'm looking for a more traditional tight Precision low-mid emphasis without the wide frequency response. I want more focus, less HUGE, if that makes sense. The bass itself is magnificent, so I don't want to get rid of it.

So, I want what many people have asked for: tight, fat, round, low-midrange-aggressive but not upper-mid grindy. I do want it to have highs and some life to the sound, just not grindy up there. I need good low B response (mostly comes from the midrange bump I feel) to go along with the general "modern vintage" vibe. And of course, it has to be a drop-in replacement for the Nordy NP5.

From my reading, it seems I'm looking for a 5-string version of the EMG Geezer Butler P, which they don't make. So, what sounds like that?

So... These are the ones that come up are:
    • Bill Lawrence P-46
    • Aguilar AG 5P-60
    • Some kinda Fender P5...? I really liked the (apparently overwound) pickups in my old MIA 62 RI jazz, is there a 5-string P equivalent?
    • Lull/Fralin/other?

Is it possible/desirable to get a slightly overwound pickup to get more mid punch?

2. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I love Bill Lawrence P-46 and I had it in Lakland Skyline 55-64 (maple/ash) it sounded way better than Lakland pickup it came with.

But, A string was over both coils and consequently it had considerably more output than rest of the strings. You might want to double check if the A string over laps both coils.

I hate to suggest the obvious solution: Nordstrand does make a vintage option for your pickup

3. smeet

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thanks!

I love Nordstrand pickups, but I wondered if the Nordstrand vintage P5 would really be all that different from the NP5, have you heard them both?

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Curtis Novak winds the best P5 pick up I have heard.
    It isn't on his website but if you write him he will fill you in. He charged me $85 for mine.

5. smeet

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thanks hdracer. Just so I know the context, how you describe the sound, and what have you compared his P5 pickup to?

6. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I had the NP5. To me it was to Sadowsky sounding and I wanted a more vintage sound like a P-46 and he nailed it. Talk to him and he will wind it the way you want with the type of magnets you want.
    He is a great guy with fast turnaround and reasonable price.

7. smeet

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I'll give him a call, thanks
    But out of curiousity, why didn't you just order a P-46 instead of getting something that sounded like it?

8. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    They don't make it in the Fender size

9. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    It's too bad your bass doesn't take a 40-soapbar, because I have an EMG 40P5 for sale that does exactly what you are looking for.