PA advice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pmutch, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    ya I'm looking to but a smaller venue PA system. I don't have alot of dead presidents (money), but by the time I buy I should have a lil. Need some advice on what kind to buy and not to buy.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, avoid the temptation of buying Behringer. It is not reliable. Mackie is always a good middle-of-the road choice. You can get a powered box with EQ, effects and amps built in along with some passive speakers, like this:

Or you can get a CFX board (with effects and EQ) and buy powered speakers, like this:

You can also use external amps and passive speakers with the unpowered boards.

We've been using a Mackie 1604 VLZ and a pair of powered SR1530s for years with no problems. With a board like the 1604, you do need to invest in some outboard effects and EQ.

Yamaha makes some fairly economical similar products. JBL EON G2s also sound great.

For starting out, I'd suggest getting something with on-board effects and EQ to save some coin. The amps can be either in the board or in the speakers. Also, forget Behringer. It's cheap, and it's cheap. That's the best that can be said about it.

Browse this site.
  3. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    EAW's line of community's sounds great also. Yamaha has a nice powered mixer thats lite and will crossover your subs should you choose to get them. They also have on board effects which work better than nothing until you can afford external units.
    Also check ebay.
  4. Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
  5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    FME, Yorkville is high quality, road worthy gear.

This would also be best suited in Misc.