Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA alternative

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by StandYourGround, Jun 6, 2005.

1. whats the best thing to use instead of buying a PA for vocals? used a guitar amp for a while but that died...so i guess thats one option out the window. thanks

2. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    really only a PA, since the human voice has such a wide range of frequencies. maybe, you can try a keyboard amp, almost all of the synths these days have a 'voice' synth, so the amps should respond well to the human voice.

hope it works for you :D

3. what's the best thing instead of buying a bass, for playing bass??? :rolleyes: (sorry, had to be a smart-a$$)

PA systems are made for vocals, guitar amps are made to amplify guitars, keyboard amps are tailored towards keyboards. I've heard vocals through guitar amps, through keyboard amps, even through home stereos. The sound sucks....use these alternatives only in case of dire emergency!!!

For less than $300 you can buy a little PA system brand new, consisting of a little powered mixer and a couple of speakers. The sound quality will be far better than a guitar amp or keyboard amp or home stereo.

A band with crappy sounding vocals won't get very far!! Deliver newspapers, wash cars, whatever, get a few dollars together and get a decent little PA. Buy it yourself if you have to....and I've found that owning a small PA gives you greater bargaining power when it comes to dealing with your fellow bandmates.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

5. Heheh :D

6. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    buy a powered monitor, we got one made by laney. they're cheaper than a pa, and you'll need em someday

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    This one uses less power
    [​IMG]

8. The cheapest PA new at our music store was over a grand, lame! And it sucked. I used a Dean Markley bass amp for a PA before, it sounded great as the "mixer" and used it with two cheap 2x8 yamaha PA cabs with horns. Got every piece for 300 canadian and it got the job done well.

9. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Famous people use them too...

[​IMG]

10. For a grand US, you can get a pretty darn good powered mixer--say $600 for the mixer-- plus a pair of decent speakers at $200 each. If somebody can't get decent vocals out of that setup, they've got no business running a PA. (Who know how the store had things set up? Not all store clerks are decent with equipment operation)

If it was an emergency--say the main PA fried--sure, I'd run into a bass amp or whatever. But for clear vocals, especially with three of four mics, or for low Z mics, you simply gotta have a mixer. Even a $200 powered mixer can get the job done. Just keep the EQ flat--that's a basic mistake many people make, they try boosting the bass and suddenly the bass gets "boomy". I actually CUT below 50 hz to get the mud out.

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    One of the soundmen we use has self-powered Mackie columns. The things pound (they could easily keep up with a PA twice its size), and they are nice and compact.

12. +1. Powered Mackies are the way to go - plug and play!