PA amp as bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jonki, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway

just wondering, since bassamps is expensive, will it work to use a PA amp as a bass amp? i got a preamp, a Sansamp RBI, will it work?

2. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Depends on the PA. I've never been happy just playing through a standard PA. They don't seem to have the headroom to handle the low frequencies and pump them out there. The thing with bass is: you always need a good amount of power to push the notes out and power costs money. I would go with a real bass head. Hope this helps.
  3. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I use a JBL Powered EON for my home/personal practice and it does ok. It doesn't have anywhere near the same uhmph that my bass rig has but it'd do in a pinch. To get something that'd sound at least as good as a dedicated bass rig, you'd probably wind up spending a lot more than if you just got the bass rig in the first place but in answer to your question, yes it'll work.
  4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    When you say PA amp, are refering to one of those powered mixer jobbers? I ask because my "PA amp" is my Crown macrotech 2402 (when I'm not using it for my rig ;) ). It will work just jim dandy for bass.

Whatever amp you use should do fine since you already have your preamp. All you need is a beefy power supply.
  5. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    yeah, i mean those amps who powers up the PA cabinets, monitors and so on

thanks for answers!
  6. Yes,most PA power amps will work fine with your RBI.I use a Crown with mine and it works great.QSC,Crest,Carvin,Stewart and even Beringer make power amps that will work with your preamp.
  7. (Stay away from behringer) :crying: :crying: :crying:
    They're over-stated power wise, and are a warranty job waiting to happen.
    JMHO of course.

Anyways - power amps work fine - just make sure you get one with excess headroom. Around an extra 100w should be fine to prevent nasty clipping. :) I've got a PEAK AUDIO USA1600 myself just recently, after the crown I ordered didn't come through, re-ordered this instead. 1600W Bridged.
    :D :D :D :D :D :D Couldn't be happier!

Good luck
  8. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    thanks alot! power amps is alot cheaper then i expected, lots of power and i have a preamp too, so this is the soloution for me!

thanks alot!

(ohh sweet nature, i love this forum! :))
  9. Lots of us use a bass preamp with a PA power amp. Works great! (see sig) :bassist: