Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA boxes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Apr 29, 2002.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I know a lot of people don't buy bass cabs and just run a preamp of some sort to a monitor and to the PA system that their band is using. Usually this means they share the PA with vocals or drums even. Has anybody ever bought PA speakers instead of a bass cab just for bass production? A lot of PA cabs can be had at decent prices and supposedly produce good low frequencies. Any takers?

2. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    stefan lessard uses, or has used meyer cabs for some of DMBs shows.
    www.meyersound.com

3. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    ????????

Since when does the bass NOT share the PA with the other instruments, except in small rooms? I thought you put everything in the PA. I'm upset when they don't put my bass in! Did I miss something?

4. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    nono ineal i meant using PA cabinets instead of bass specific cabinets. I'm talking substituting some brand of PA speaker for say an ampeg 410 or something. The bass signal'd still get put through the band's PA, i was just wondering if anybody'd used a pa cab for a bas cab.

5. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Sorry Dubbs. I did misunderstand. I think some PA cabs would work OK, as long as the horn didn't have too much presence. Notice how small the horns in bass cabs are in relation to those in PA cabs. That's because in PA cabs the horns do most of the work, as opposed to bass cabs where the cones do most of the work. I would stick with a good bass cab, but that's just me.

6. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    so the horns are ultra-style on pa boxes. hmm...do they usually have attenuators?

7. ItchyBass

ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Hey K Dubbs,

Something to keep in mind...

Like guitar, Bass tone should have some form of color to it. That color can come from the type of strings you use, your guitar, onboard preamp, preamp, poweramp, and finally your speakers. I have gone through thousands of dollars worth of gear over the years trying to get what I believe to be the perfect tone. I have found that the thing that dictates your tone the most is your speakers.

P.A. speakers are designed to reproduce, as closely as possible, the sound coming from the poweramp. A lot of people who post on this site think that is what you would want a bass cabinet to do as well... I disagree.

I use an 8 ohm, 600 watt, Mesa 4x10 through a 600watt @ 4ohm amp. So I am really only getting 380 watts into that thing (or something like that). Mesa cabs are "colorfull" to start out with (If I were to plug it into my P.A. and play a CD through it, it would sound like crap!). The fact that I am underpowering it (as many here would claim) adds even more color. The speakers "break up" a bit, and as a result, I get "Tone". All of the folks I have talked to at Mesa tend to agree with me.

8. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Well, they're just voiced differently, that's all. Some PA speakers do have attenuators for the horn and I would say one of those would be the way to go. Bass cabs are voiced to make your sound cut through on stage where you have loud drummers and guitar amps. In a pinch I used a PA cab once for my bass. I didn't like it very much because it didn't have the punch I needed. It's worth a try though, just to see.

What Itchy said!

9. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    thanks for the help guys. I'm just so frustrated. It seems if a guy wants his ideal bass rig that actually gets the lows well and takes some power he's either gotta:
    1. Build it him/her-self at the cost of frustration
    2. Buy a retail brand at the cost of....so much money its rediculous...It's paper wood and big magnets...
    3. Make sacrifices. I don't have the money or enthusiasm enough to go through bass rigs every few years or more frequently even. I want something that sounds good that i can treat well and have for a long time.

The only thing that I found that doesn't cost me a fortune, seems like its likely to slam out some serious lows, is decent weight, possibly portable, and takes some highs are the PA212 cabs from avatar. They each use 2 12 inch eminence delta LF's that, since they're put in the correct size and dimension cabinet (by my math anyway) produce low lows with some balls. Plus they take up to 600 watts apiece. I can get two of them with horns for 400 bucks, which seems like a bargain. The only thing I'm kinda wondering about is the amount of "punch" or "slam" that those woofers would have, and about the horn and its crossover.