Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA cab vs Bass cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rygelxvi, Apr 27, 2004.

1. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    Ive been going direct with the PODxt with great results. My
    sound is great through the PA, but I have no amp on stage
    for stage volume to keep up with a drummer and guitarist.
    The monitors help but i'd still like to have a backline amp
    on stage. Using an amp modeler with a regular bass amp
    has always had bad results, as it should be. So im thinking
    using a PA cab (ie JBL 2way 15 cab, perhaps adding a sub
    as well.) and poweramp for my backline amp. What
    problems do you think I may run into with this setup? how
    does a 2way PA cab differ from a regular bass cab as far as
    how it funtions? Any ideas on if this is a good or bad idea
    let me know thanks.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The biggest difference between bass cabs and Pa cabs is easiliy apparent when you play a DC through them. even with the same speaker configuration, the frequency response will vary.

Just be careful that you Pa can handle low frequencies. It might have a 15" speaker in it but I've seen 15"S that don't do anything below 100Hz.

3. I would pickup a decent combo amp somewhere used and then a good direct box or splitter to run the signal to the pod and PA and to the combo at the same time that way you have some control of your onstage tone as well and would probably not need a whole lot of headroom to fill out the sound. just my $.02......

4. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    The PA cab approach provides the best results when you're playing on very large stages. The sound from most PA cabs isn't meant to be very coherent at close range... depending on the system, it's usually meant to really come together at no less than about 15 to 20 feet.
    I've had good results going through a self-powered Mackie rig (SRM-450 on top of an SR-1500) when playing these larger stages.

An alternative to actual PA cabs might be a pro-level monitor cab that is meant to be coherent sitting at your feet and blasting back in your face! Done right... that is, with the right pre-amp/power-amp front end... this approach should prove to be a sonically satisfying experience! :D

Of course, this all assumes that the sound you're going after is not based at all on speaker breakup or coloration. Hearing an accurate reproduction of one's technique is a traumatic time for some! ;)

5. I've got the POD Pro and I've got 2 different speaker setups that I like with it. 1) is a SWR Triad ( 1x15 1x10 1xtweater) and 2) Bergantino HT/EX112. Both of these are what I call a full range hi-fi setup as apposed to a 4x10 w/a a tweater or a 1x15 type setup. Most PA speakers are going to be setup for a lot more volume in the 1K to 10K range than you'll need for bass so you're really wasting a lot of speaker and they may not have much extended low end as this part of the sound is usually reserved for a sub in a PA type setup. I'd look for a full range hi-fi type bass speaker. This should give you the same sound on stage as what is coming accross through the FOH.

6. Put your Pod in a rack with a power amp that can produce at least 500 watts at 4 ohms and get an Acme Low B-2. This will be just about the best sounding "monitor" you'll find anywhere. Every effect I've heard through my Acme cab has sounded exactly as it does in the studio. The "cab modeling" ones are especially interesting as the Acme is dead flat and almost completely neutral. These settings actually sound like the rigs that they're being modeled after. Modeling effects never sounded this way to me through other cabs. Check 'em out!

7. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001

What he said....