PA cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, May 9, 2005.

1. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Anyone ever try using these in their rig? I know it's been done but how about some report on the results here? :hyper: :bassist:
  2. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    The single best sounding by far bass cabinet I ever used was a PA cabinet.

But then again it had two 15's, two 8's and a couple of tweeters in it. It weighed a little over 200 pounds, cost a little over 5 grand and had a big 'ol EAW stamped on the side of it.

The standard bar room box on a stick's....Peavey SP2 or 3's...the equivalent mackie boxes.....a couple of pretty nice JBL 2x15 with a horn PA cabs....

I've blown woofers out of all those things on several different occaisions with a 5 string.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    some of us like em some dont.

the biggie is it has to be a good one, and able to handle the bass well.

i've used good ones and liked it quite a bit.

keep in mind, at a bigger venue, what you're hearing in the audience is the bass (and the rest of the band) thru pa cabs. ;)
  4. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
  5. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I traded in a couple of 2x10 cabinets a few days ago on a JBL JRX125 PA cabinet after checking one out at a local GC store. I got the notion from a thread here at TB - it had been years since I ran through a real-quality PA stack. I had forgotten just how amazingly fantastic using PA cabs as bass cabs can sound. I can honestly say that I've never been more happy with my tone before in my life. And I think I can finally lay down the time-consuming and extremely expensive burden of tone-chasing for a long time (as far as bass cabinets are concerned). Most traditional bass cabs (with exceptions such as Accu-Groove, Schroeder, EA, etc.) simply don't have the efficiency specs, go as low or as high in tonal range as PA speakers, and the crossovers in bass cabinets alot of times just aren't as adequate. I believe the success of the afore mentioned high-dollar bass cabinets is that they essentially recreate what a good quality PA cabinet does - that is, give you an uncolored flat-response, full-range cabinet. Where-in, the lows, mids and highs are accurately reproduced with a (hopefully) flat linear response. If I could afford one of those high-end bass cabs, I'd have one. However, I've never played one of those...but running through this new PA cabinet must surely sound very similar...flat-response is flat-response - is it not? Let's just say IMO, it doesn't suck! ;) Some people really dig a flat-response cabinet and I am surely one of them. Talk about a hi-fi bass tone! No more tradtional bass cabinets w/harsh sounding horns for me ever again.