1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PA Cabs

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by JonnyAngle, Oct 30, 2013.

1. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    I have a pair of Peavey PA cabs that have a 12" BW and a tweeter in them. The boxes are literally falling apart and I'd like to make them with a kickback style instead of cubes like they are now. Do the same rules apply for PA cabs as bass cabs about changing speaker cabinets? They're sealed, but I will have a hard time keeping the same internal volume w/ a tiltback style I think.

2. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

Dec 8, 2009
    Just do the numbers. If you cut the rear corner off at the required angle , calculate what the lost volume is , and add that onto the upward facing side where it's square and easy to deal with. You'll end up with a slightly wider front face.

3. Hi.

Why?

Just make 'em a bit longer/wider or redesign them to be vented.

If these are the cabs I think they are, the internal volume is ~40L.

Before making the wedges, I'd explore other options for drivers that will work in those cabs (perhaps with slight modifications) in the future as well, not much sense IMO of limiting oneself to one driver.
    Especially if a Peavey ;).

Regards
    Sam

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yes, absolutely.

5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    If this is a project you're doing for your own enjoyment, by all means go ahead, but if you're trying to save money by recycling old BW's you'll probably come out ahead just buying new cabs.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You may want to consider building something like a Bill Fitzmaurice OmniTop 12 which requires basic tools and woodworking skills. It will be bit of a departure as these are horn-loaded (?) enclosures. I've been re-assured that the existing Peavey drivers won't stack up to the suggested drivers but, overall, the enclosure(s) will sound better than the original Peavey boxes.

Riis

7. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    This is the PA I use in my house for when I'm playing and singing to music. I have a 600B Head and would like to have the enclosures pointed towards my ears instead of pointing at my feet. This isn't a gigging PA, so I'm not really looking to spend a lot of $. I would slowly work on them a little here and there on weekends, with no real deadline to meet.

I don't really want to get speaker stands because I'm trying to get by with fewer things.

8. Hi.

Why not buy/fabricate tilt-back legs found for example on older Fender cabs and combos then?

Easier, cheaper, and when the speakers bite the dust, You can re-use the legs.

Regards
    Sam