PA Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stringtheorist, Jul 20, 2005.

1. stringtheorist

Jul 14, 2005
    I was just wondering if anyone was using PA Cabs as part of their rig, or maybe their whole rig?

Given they're designed to cover the full frequency range, it seems like they would be ideal for somebody who wanted a full tone.

Maybe an EV 15 + Horn on top of a 4x10? Or even a full pa rig with a Turbosound 15 + Horn on top of a Turbosound 18" sub?

I'm currently using a QSC-RMX1450 driving two Yamaha SV115 PA Cabinets as my practice rig. It sounds pretty ok, would sound even better with a decent preamp me thinks.

Is anybody using something like that? Does anybody see a reason why one wouldn't? Just curious.
  2. no reason not to use them, as far as I can tell.

I currently have an EV TL series 1x15" PA sub, and I love it. Kicks ass on my old Hartke 1x15" (not that that's hard!)

Also, when I'm stupidly rich I'll be buying myself a Meyer Sound powered sub. I once used one of these puppies as a bass amp, and with the excpetion of having no volume control it was by far and away the best amp I've ever used. It even had decent treble response for my purposes, but maybe a simple addition of a horn would suffice for more bitey sounds.

Plus, you can try all you like but you can't blow the damn things up!
  3. I second the Meyer love!!! There is nothing else out there like it....Currently I am using an Accugroove El Whappo which is based more or less on the same has a 15 a 12 a 6 and 2 soft domes for the sounding full range cab under $2,000 you will get PERIOD......the Meyer has built in amps and everything but is VERY PRICEY.....if you are interested check out a CQ1 or CQ2 or even a PSM-2 floor wedge (I LOVE MINE!!!) Here is a link:

Good Luck....

Calling Prockenklang.....

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have at times and they can sound great. (at really big shows a lot of my sound comes from the pa anyway). you just have to try some out.