Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spike, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Our PA amp developed a fault at the weekend and is not going to be repaired in time for this weekends gig’s.

So my question, I have a Seck 6 channel mixer and a spare Hartke 3500.
    Is there any reason why I can’t use this set up to get us out of trouble? (Vocals only)
    Straight out of the Seck in mono, and into the instrument input on the Hartke. (Active input)
    Will need the send/return inputs for the Alesis midiverb. .....Is this ok?

There won’t be any time to test it properly before the 1st gig as our main gear is in kept in a lock up miles away, although I tried a mic at low’ish volume through a bass cab last night and it seems to sound ok.

Thanks in advance.

Spike.

2. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    If your amp has a power amp in, use that instead. The instrument in is a much lower voltage and different impedance than the usual line/power amp out. Also, this usually bypasses the EQ ection of the amp, allowing the mixer to be the final word on sound. You *can* use the instrument in, but keep the pre-gain very low.

I used to use an old Peavey Mark III with an old Radio Shack mixer to DJ dances and it worked just dandy.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I would run the mono mixer out into the Midiverb and the MV out into the effects return of the Hartke. This takes the preamp stage of the of the bass amp out of the equation. As said, you can go through the preamp, but you are better off removing it if possible.

4. Thanks guys, appreciated.