Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA-like Clean ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RMosack, Jun 6, 2004.

1. I asked a similar question in an Ashdown thread, but think it would be better to have a thread dedicated to this instead.

I'm looking for a bass amp (with a tweeter obviously) that could do part-time duty as a pseudo acoustic amp. Acoustic guitar amps (very much like keyboard amps and PAs) provied FULL-RANGE sound partly due to their very flat EQs and tweeters (again, like PAs and key amps).

One of my electric guitars has a Q-filter wired to provide a faux-acoustic tone, but like a real or piezo acoustic, it only really comes to life in a PA or even acoustic guitar amp. Actual electric guitar amps tend to be EQ'd to compensate for the REAL sound of guitars. (Ever plug an electric guitar directly into a PA? It sounds very crisp and harsh. It needs the basic, starting EQ - and lack of speaker top end - that guitar amps provide.)

Between either a Roland DB-500 or Ashdown MAG (with tweeter), which could get the most flat, PA-ish tonal reproduction?

I understand the Roland DB Series has COSM models. The DB-500 has Solid State, Tube and Tube Drive Settings. I assume the cleanest is the solid state, but don't know how "EQ'd" it actually is.

I'm not too sure about the MAG (or even an old stock Electric Blue 2x10" with tweeter). I know they're pretty much geared toward clean tones, but don't know how flat a reproduction (and how full the top end the tweeter provides) they yield.

Anyone have any input?

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I don't have experience with either of those amps, but if you want to check them for even frequency response, plug a CD player into 'em and see if it sounds anywhere close to normal.

3. The guitarist from my last band plugged his Parker (w/piezos on) into my Peavey Max/DPC 1400X/Acme Low B-4 and it was like the voice of God on an acoustic guitar. It sounded like a giant studio monitor. It was absolutely incredible.

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    If you're looking for clean PA sound, why are you limiting yourself to those two amps?

To answer your question though, neither of those amps are very PA-like.

5. Those two amps seem reasonably priced, properly powered, properly equipped and fairly available, so I was checking them out.

If neither will do, any alternative suggestions?

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup,

sometimes, i'll run one of my Acme B-1's into my Acoustic Image Clarus, and it makes a killer acoustic rig for my Huss & Dalton DS w/ its K&K Pure Western pickup. then, in the same set, i can put down the acoustic, plug in my Emimence 5 string EUB, and i'm ready to lay down the low down. might be a bit pricey, but IMHO, a much better option than the one you're looking at.

if you want a more "acoustic" setup, how about an SWR Strawberry or California Blonde acoustic amp?

but also it depends on how big of a bass rig you want, and what kind of music you'll be playing with. IMHO, anything with an Acme cab would sound great for both bass and acoustic.

heck, even a full blown mini PA setup would work great! a friend used to gig with a Mackie 1202VLZ / QSC PLX1202 power amp / JBL EON1500, and his acoustic and basses, both sound great.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

A powered JBL or Behringer 2way 15" PA cabinet and a nice mixer and/or DI box.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    kinda OT:

but any cool multiple 10" loaded PA cabs? would prolly be punchier, no?

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Another vote to check out a swr california blond. Even works great for vocals and you can add an ext cab.

10. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Excellent.......

I kinda figured this would work, but you just don't know until you hear it.........

I've got a Chandler/Warmoth Strat for those times when I feel like playing a girlie man instrument..... :D

Got an EMG 81/SA/85 set up in it, with an LR Baggs piezo bridge.

And I'll have a brand new pair of B2's this week......get me a Johnson J-Station off of e-bay for cheap, and I should have botha killin' bass rig and a killin' guitar rig, all in one....

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have actually used my EA VL-series cabs for PA duty, and they shine in this application. In fact, before I used them, I asked John Dong if he thought that they would work as PA cabs, and he replied that a number of their customers use their cabs for PA use. Of course, EA cabs (especially the VL series) like a lot of power, but a relatively small VL-110 or VL-208 can really get the job done.