1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pa mixer Question!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yellowbassj, Oct 30, 2006.

1. yellowbassj

yellowbassj

Mar 20, 2006
    I'm looking for a P.A. Does a quarter inch input or mic input make a difference. Quarter inch PA inputs are cheaper than the P.A.s with all mic inputs. Is their a difference? Because you can get mics with either input and it would be cheaper...

Thanks

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Microphone preamps cost more than line-level preamps.

Typically, XLR mixer inputs are for mics, (mics need more gain).
    And 1/4" mixer inputs are for line level sources.

Some old or low cost mics do have a 1/4" plug.

You can get a line transformer to convert a XLR mic jack, to a 1/4 line signal.
    (This method has not sounded very good to me.)

Go for a mixer with mic and line inputs on all channel's. Some day, you'll be glad you did.

3. yellowbassj

yellowbassj

Mar 20, 2006
    Can I get anyone else's opinion on how mics sound thru a quarter inch adapter sound.

Would it sound bad for drums?

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Do not buy a mixer with no 3-pin XLR inputs. Even if it has 1/4 inch inputs that work with high-impedance mics there is no such thing as a high quality high-impedance mic. Using an adaptor transformer is a poor option. Bottom line, a mixer without XLR inputs is not adequate for professional useage.
    You get what you pay for.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The only way I could see an all 1/4" jack mixer working is if you bought an outboard mic pre for every mic. But that would be very awkward and would probably cost much more.

6. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    It's just not worth it when there are so many decent mixers out there and the prices dropping!

Alesis and [moreover] Behringer, for example, are definitely not the best but they can be had extremely reasonably and boast some nice features.

Do yourself a favor and GET SOME XLR.

7. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    Please find a pro audio dealer that will take the time to help you! If not you'll end up spending WAY more money cause you can easily buy stuff that simply will not meet your needs. Then you have to chunk it and buy real equipment.
    If you want to run drums and bass through the PA you need a lot more than just the mixer - you need speakers/amp that will actually handle the drums and bass.
    As someone already said, there are a number of cheap mixers that will actually do the job - connected to my computer is a little alto s-8 that has 4 xlr inputs - it has worked great for 3 years and cost around $100. But if you do spring for a mixer, try to get more inputs than you may think you need; could be useful for down the road.
    Buy once - cry once.

8. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Do a search on ebay for a mackie 1604 vlzpro. You should be able to pick one up some where between $250-$400. You'll never need another mixer: 16 channels with xlr's on all, 4 submixes, 6 effects sends, all the eq you'll need, and inserts on each channel. The preamps sound great on the vlz variant too. Just a suggestion. :cool:

9. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    Great suggestion. Except the part about "never needing another mixer". Twice I have had 16 channel mixers only to have to sell them and buy 24 channel mixers.
    Of course, now I'm down to a 12 channel and a 6 channel. But you never know...

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've found the transformer adapters that go from 3 pin to quarter inch do degrade the sound. I can hear the difference.

You're best off to buy a mixer that has XLR inputs for mics. It'll likely be higher quality anyhow. There are good and bad mixers. You usually get what you pay for. Carvin makes some affordable mixers that sound pretty good. Yorkville Sound does too.

If you start with a decent mixer you can upgrade things like speakers, monitors and power amps later and improve the sound and output as you get more money.

11. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    +1 and too true. Once you start down the P.A. road, it just seems like you never have enough inputs. Although I have to say, my bands mackie 1604 vlz-pro served us well for many years. Now we're mostly playing venues with their own P.A.'s, so we've sold off most of our sound equipment.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I wouldn't want an all in one PA/Mixer that didn't have both XLR and 1/4" inputs on it. I've also found that the new breed of PA's that have two amps (monitors and mains or stereo mains) are a hell of a lot more convenient than carrying two rigs to smaller gigs.