Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA mixer routing monitors?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jondog, Apr 4, 2004.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I don't run sound for my band, but I've just started getting into it and bought some gear and now I have my first gig as a sound man for a charity concert. I have a Behringer mx2004a mixer :bag: and I need to figure out the right way to do a monitor send. The manual doesn't really explain it. The easiest way looks like using Aux1 or Aux2, but I've got my limiter in 1 and my reverb in 2 and I'd rather not move them. Control room out just sends the main mix, so that doesn't let you do an independent monitor mix. I was thinking about maybe using the L main out for monitors and the R main out for mains, and using the pan knob as a monitor level control for each channel, does that make sense or should I be trying something else?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Use Aux 1 - use your limiter on the main inserts. the L and R thing can work, but 99% of the time, it's just horrible for all involved.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Assuming it only has 2 Auxilary sends, I agree with Pacman. Move the limiter to the main outputs and free up Aux1 for monitors. There's really no other way that will work. Your panning idea is frought with danger with way too many things that can go wrong. And when things go wrong behind the desk, it happens in a split second and EVERYONE notices. You don't wanna go through that.............

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK thanks, I've moved the monitors to Aux. 1 and have much more control. I can move the limiter to the main outs, but then I lose the XLR jacks. I was hoping to be able to use the limiter to fatten/control the kick drum or the vocals if necessary. Is there anywhere else besides the mains I can put it? Yes I know about the channel inserts, my limiter is stereo ganged so I'd only be able to use it on 2 channels max w/ no independent settings.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Jondog I haven't seen a PA system yet that didn't have some sort of "work around" or compromise in the setup. I tend to put limiter's on the mains because it gives some protection to the whole PA system. Some extra Auxilaries would be nice right now.

I guess you could use the inserts to run one limiter channel for the kick and the other for the vocal (I'm assuming this limiter doubles as a compressor). Personally I wouldn't do it unless you can set up each of the limiter's channels independantly.

Have you used inserts before? I only ask because too many people plug in a normal cable and wonder why the insert doesn't work. The manual should have some info about the specific types of cable you will need to get the insert sending and returning the signal. If not, I can dig out some info for you.

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Thanks for the advice. Yes I know about insert cables. I hadn't really considered using the limiter to protect the speakers, I don't expect this to be a high volume gig where I'm pushing things to the edge. I was more thinking about doing the best possible job w/ tone so people would like how they sound and maybe hire me to do more in the future.