PA or keyboard amp for singer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Jan 23, 2003.

1. If you wanted to play a small venue (pub/club) that didn't have a PA system, would you bring along a small PA system or run the vocals through a keyboard amp (or something like that)?

Assume it's a pop/rock band, running two 50w guitar combos and a 200w bass combo w/drums.

Also assume the band knows how to use their volume knobs.
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmm... probably the PA option. But it depends, have you tried running the mic through the keyboard amp before? How does it sound?

If you use the amp, you'll want to elevate it some how, rather than putting it on the floor. Use your ears to judge, listen to the quality of the sound over both the PA and the amp. I say if the PA sounds better, go with the PA.

But, whatever you do, you wanna have a monitor for the singer :)
  3. I don't actually have a keyboard amp or a PA system but I know that keyboard amps can run microphones through them.

Just wondering if you had to supply one or the other, which would be better.

Also, can't a keyboard amp act as the monitor at the same time?
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    get a fender passport system. they are small and efficient. And they would do well in that situation.
  5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Depends how loud you're gonna go.

The thing is, to do that, you'll need the amp to be behind the singer, facing forwards... which means feedback. But it does depend on levels. But I'd imagine feedback would be a problem. That is why the PA is always in front of the singer, and then there's a monitor facing back. You could use the PA, then use the amp as a monitor.

I imagine you'll get better sound quality from the PA.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego