PA or other options for new band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Maxian, Jun 9, 2005.

1. I recently started a band with some friends (and a guitarist but thats another story), and we are currently playing in my garrage. Other then a pissed off neighbor here and there everything has beeng going fine but one problem, we cant here the singer sing. It is close to impossible unless he is screaming the notes (and even then). Because of this we have thought about investing in a PA, but we all have no money. We could scrape up around 200 (via selling the guitarist for slavery) if needed. But I was wondering if there is another option for vocals (we wont be doing this at shows seeing as other bands usually suply the PA at the local shows (or the venue does)). Any ideas? I was thinking a mic -> a cab but didnt know if this would work. Or some crappy PA that you guys know of that would be "good enough". If we did go with a PA using it for trumpets would be nice aswell.

2. If you can scrape up $300, here's a package from American Musical:

They also have a SoundTech package for 219 but no details.

Not the best PA in the world, but unless you get lucky on some used stuff, this will work for vocals and even trumpets. Don't expect to run your bass signal into it.

You'll need a powered speaker with a mic preamp built in, if you just want a mic and a cab. I don't know if American Musical has one for less than 300.
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you need to mic the trumpets, turn the volume down for practice.

I would recommend a used powered mixer and a cheap speaker or two. To start with you can probably get away with one cab and pan everything to one side. Then get a second when you have more cash.

Does anybody have a spare guitar cab? It will sound bad for vocals but at least you will hear.

Peavey is usually a good, cheap and available choice.
  4. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Use a keyboard amp!They can be got quite cheap
  5. +1

I would be very surprised if you need to mic trumpets at rehearsals :eek: Just how loud are you guys??
  6. well we have yet to play with the trumpet (just found her to play for us) so it was just a afterthough
  7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Trust me, trumpets don't need a mic for practice ....
  8. Have you thought that maybe you guys need to turn your amps down? (echoing what others have hinted at in this thread) You don't have to simulate arena levels during practice, you know.
  9. The trouble with turning down is that the drums are in a garrage, which makes them VERY loud, so we are always competing with the drums... We play as quietly as possible though (as to not annoy those around us)
  10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Have the drummer get a plexiglass shield. Our drummer uses one and it makes a world of difference. I am even starting to see live band use them at outdoor shows.