Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA Pyrotechnics!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    ok, so maybe you can't plug any ol speakers into the PA head.

we played a show saturday, and the club had some decent columns we thought we'd use intead of bringing our own. i still don't understand the whole "ohm" thing, but from what my PA head owners manual read if the speakers were 4 or 8 ohms i was safe. the speakers didn't say what they were.

so we hook everything up and one speaker is not working. fiddle around a little, unplug the speaker and get a little show that KISS would be proud of. fire literally shot out of the amp and the place filled with smoke. luckily, the club had a head to go with it's speakers and we were able to do the gig.

i'm assuming that the cause of this was the speakers cuz that's what i was told when i returned the head for repairs. anyone know of anything else that may have caused this to happen - any similar experiences? i'm also assuming the warranty is going to cover this. there were no explicit warnings in the owners manual.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I would say it's all a matter of what you mean by "fiddle". You shouldn't plug/unplug any speakers while the head is powered up.

I bet there are lots ot things not mentioned in the manual that are considered abuse and therefore not covered by warranty.

I would suggest if you want to conduct experiments, you should probably use your own equipment. Otherwise, you may find it pretty hard to rent equipment when you need it.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have a suggestion. If you don't understand the "ohm thing", then don't plug into other people's speakers. Ever. Never, ever, ever.

Either educate yourself on the basics of impedance matching, or leave the "tinkering" to those who know.

You admit to not knowing what impedance the speakers were, yet you plugged into them anyway. Bad move. You stated the owners manual was clear on the minimum impedance, it appears you probably exceeded it. Doesn't sound like the manual failed to warn you to me.

I'd doubt this would be covered by warranty. Don't mean to be hard on you, but you misused the equipment, and should learn from your lesson.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I'll echo what ESP and Eric said and add that if you want to learn about PA sound systems so you don't end up doing things you shouldn't do any more, here are some resources:

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My ex-GF had that book so I've refered to it at times. It's excellent. Maybe a bit heavy for a beginner, but still very good. She had another book, the title escapes me, but the Author was Duncan Fry - another very good reference.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    She was into audio and had SR books, and she wasn't a keeper? What more do you want, man? ;)

I've got that one, too: Live Sound Mixing, published by Roztralia Productions. Dunk's a cool guy, too. Ever meet him, Pete?

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's how we met? It was great for 4 yrs but she called it off just last week
    :( She's the reason I love QSC amps.

I'm not sure. It was at the Entech awards night a few years ago - Industry people everywhere and too much wine. I met a lot of big names but I can't remember it too well. But he's a very smart guy from what I can tell.

Have you met him?

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Smart guy, but also very entertaining to talk with. I've met him a couple times at trade shows; I believe he's one of the principals of ARX. He's got a Web site about live sound and it also has many of his stories about touring, mixing, etc.: www.dunkworld.com.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    the touring stories are part of the education. Electronics can get dry at times, yet he's got a story to ram home just about every eletrical principal as it applies in practice rather than just in theory. And he's funny.

I'll check that website out later (I'm supposed to be working now).

EDIT:- did I say electronics? I should have said sound engineering and acoustics. Sorry.