1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PA question related to power conditioner need

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Apr 19, 2006.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Not sure if this belongs here or not.

We're reconfiguring the PA. We're going to run a QSC PLX 3402 to drive the mains which draws 13 amps peak, then a QSC RMX 1402 running the monitors and drawing 6 amps peak along with a Peavey 20 channel board drawing 1 amp peak. Now power conditioners seem to run in 15 amp, 20amp and 30amp versions.

My question is...do you add the peak draw together to decide how heavey duty a power conditioner you need? If so, we're looking to need a 20amp or 30amp conditioner. Or...since it's peak ampage, are we safe with a 15 amp conditioner?

Thanks.

2. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    TECHNICALLY, you will need the 20 if you want to guarantee that the breaker won't blow on it. But I have currently been running 2 Crest CPX1500's, a crossover, two EQ's, a mixing board and a compressor off of one 15-20A 'conditioner.' It hasn't blown yet, but then again I don't really push the equipment more than it's supposed to.

A lot of the 'conditioners' are nothing more than glorified rack mounted power strips like you'd buy at WalMart. If you're not spending several hundred dollars on one, you might as well use a power strip.

A more important thing to note is that you should use a 12ga. power cord to run to the power amps to make sure they are getting all the power they need to run properly. Also, running all the band equipment off of the same house circuit is one of the safest ways to make sure that you won't get electricuted. Of course lights can go on another circuit.

I bought an ElectraTrac 22.5' 12 ga cord, it has 6 outlets spaced out along the length of the cord. It's great to plug in on one side of the stage and run across it for everyone to plug into. We plug everything but lights into it. Cost me about $32 + shipping. You can get them in black here.

3. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks

4. Vampyre

Vampyre

Dec 9, 2004
    zomg i droped a pwer condishnir on mi babee after she fal

5. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    something worth considering is that power conditioners can sometimes squash the dynamics of amps that are plugged into them. Lower amperage conditioners are more likely to do this.

It's become a common theme in conditioners used for stereo ... a lot of them greatly improve the smoothness of the sound of the system (by filtering noise, and in some cases by repairing or regenerating the a.c. waveform). but they also often tame the amp, taking away some of its slam. Ones that do all the good without any of the bad often cost $$$$.

if you have the opportunity to listen for any issues before buying, it would be ideal.

another thought is that the time you're most likely to blow breakers is when you're turning the amps on ... some have a huge inrush current. if you're conscientious to stagger when you switch them on, you're much less likely have problems. outside of this, those max. current draw numbers seem to be conservative.

6. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    More thanks for the opinions.

7. You should be fine with the 20 amp. If you ever have to run your system with peak current draw for an extended time period you will have more problems than a blown fuse or breaker.