Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jrduer, Dec 22, 2005.

1. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    I'm tired of dealing with an inadequate stage monitor setup, and I have an idea for the fix. I just don't know if this will work, or if I'm going to have to buy so much new gear that I might as well start from scratch.

Anyway, here goes: Our current setup can handle two completely separate monitor mixes, which we are using. But I want to expand it to 4 separate mixes, so each of us has our own mix. I have another mixer, with 2 separate monitor mixes. I have another stereo power amp, to handle the 2 new mixes. I also have another stereo EQ for the 2 new monitor mixes.

And now, the question: Can I use a "Y" splitter cable to send the mic signals to both mixers, without using some kind of transformer or other type of box? Or will doing this degrade the signal from the mics, so that everything -- monitors, FoH -- suffers? I'm thinking I can just send the mic signals to both mixers, use the monitor sends from both mixers, but only send the FoH mix from our main board.

ProCo makes a mic splitter, the MS2, which takes one mic signal and gives you 2 outputs, one with a transformer, one direct. I don't know why they have a transformer on one output. The bottom line is the MS2's are like $110 each (and I'll need 6 of them) and the "Y" cables are around $12 each. Quite a difference.

What I REALLY should do is buy a monitor mixer, like the Crest Audio XRM. But $2899 seems a bit steep, if I can achieve the same (or even similar) results with what I have, plus the "Y" splitter cables.

Any thoughts on the subject will be greatly apprecieated.

~John

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're better off using transformer splitters, but you can use Y cables without too much degradation usually. The transformer is on one output to isolate it from the other one. There's no need to put a tx on both. You might want to check companies like ART, Rane, and Rolls for more economical splitters. They're not as good as the ProCos, but they're a lot better than Y cables. ART is making a whole slew of little gizmos.

ART splitter.

ART other stuff

[​IMG]

Rolls splitter.

[​IMG]

Whirlwind IMP splitter.

[​IMG]

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Y cables will work, but a decent mic splitter will do it with better performance.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's right, Bob!

5. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Very easy fix. Go to www.audiopile.net and purchase a small EWI split snake. (example 16ch box with two 15' trunks for $225 plus shipping) This snake is a medium duty (non touring) snake without transformers. It will work fine for your needs with no degredation in signal. If you need longer trunks, it will have to be custom ordered and will take upwards of 8 weeks to get it. (made overseas!) If you need a touring duty split snake you will be better off getting a Whirlwind but it will cost twice as much. As far as a dedicated monitor mixer, you can purchase a small desk like a Allen & Heath mixwizard 16:2. ($899 street price) The newest version (3) has decent mic pres, is easy to set up and is rack mountable. It has cabability to do 6 aux mixes and a seventh with the moving of a few internal jumpers. (15 min job) The Crest XRM is a great console, but its strength lies in doing stereo mixes, especially with in ear monitors. It might be a bit more than you actually require. Save the cash for other needs!

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I've done business with Mark and Liz Hellinger (Audiopile) a number of times and have always been satisfied with their products, support, and service.

7. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    Thanks, Everybody. I think, with your help, my problem will be solved shortly. Maybe I'll post the results.

~John