Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nikofthehill, Aug 28, 2002.

1. nikofthehill

nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    Hey audio engineers and technically inclined people,

Please help me!
    Our bands PA consists of a powered mixer, 2 monitors, and a passive subwoofer. Our problem is this: the subwoofer has one input jack, a built in crossover, and an output jack. The mixer has 2 XLR outs.
    Right now, we wire one channel directly to the monitor, and the other channel powers both the sub and the other monitor. Because of this, one monitor runs full range, while the one plugged into the subwoofer runs only the frequencies above the subwoofer crossover of 160 hz.
    This means at high volume, the full range speaker starts to distort before the other one. What is the cheapest way to solve this problem? Even though the obvious solution is to spend $100 for a rackmount crossover, we don't have that kind of money and greatly appreciate any other suggestions.
    Thanks a lot,
    Nik

moderators feel free to move this if its in the wrong forum

2. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    are your "monitor's" for the mains or for you guys on stage? Does the "monitor's" have a output?

If all three speakers are for the audience and your "monitor's" have a input and a output on them, I would run both monitors off of one channel and the sub off of the other. I would assume that your powered head has a eq section for each channel. Use the seperate eq's to adjust channel 1 for the "monitors" and channel 2 for the sub.

I understand I made a lot of assumptions, but that's the best I could come up with without spending money.

BTW - If your "Monitors" don't have outputs, but if their 8ohm speakers the you could always add another output jack. If your head can handle down to a 2ohm load, your monitors could be as low as 4 ohm speakers, and you should be fine.

~Peace~