1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PA Setup- Peavey xr684 with 4X10in Phonic Monitors, and a Fender Passport System- Best setup?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by B-Real B-Bass, Aug 29, 2017.

1. B-Real B-Bass

B-Real B-Bass

Aug 29, 2017
    Connecticut
    Hello-

Going to layout my gear setup in the studio and then follow with some questions. The gear to reference for my questions is as follows:

Here is my PA mixer, Peavey XR684, and I attached the manual also: https://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/xr684_684plus.pdf

Power Specs for the Peavey- 2x200 W @ 4 ohms internal power amplifier OR 420 W @ 8 ohms in bridge mode.

My plan is to hook up four different speaker cabinets to the four outputs in the back. Each speaker cabinet is a 10in Phonic with horn: this one- Home :: Speakers :: SEM 710 ; OR seen at guitar center here- http://www.guitarcenter.com/Phonic/S710-10-in-2-Way-Speaker-1274319718850.gc#productDetail

Then I plan to take an instrument cable (not a speaker cable, but that is a questions below) and run a line from the stereo out port from the Peavey (in the front part of the main mixer) to a separate power amp and speaker unit (that unit is just a Fender Passport 150 watt system that I plan to use as added monitors and sound reinforcement throughout the studio, speaker cabs are each 2x5.5in, and the speakers will be up on stands near musician ears).

Side Note- Not worried about bass in this speaker setup because I will send a lineout from the Ampeg BA 2X10 with a 12in Genz Benz extension to the main mix, which should handle most of the low end rumble in the studio.... If you can't tell, I really prefer the tones, response and volume from multiple 10in speakers as opposed to having bigger 15 or 18in speakers... Also these are primarily used in a smaller home studio setting, but competing with acoustic drums.

There seems to be different information about watt handling for the Phonic speaker cabs. So I will go with info from the manufacturer instead of guitar center. Manufacturer says speakers are rated at 80 watts RMS / 160 program (GC says 80 watt program and 160 peak... not sue why the difference in info for program vs peak).

Now for the questions:
    1- Does anything jump out at people with more experience than I as a very bad idea with this setup? Counter, does this sound like an efficient and quality setup for a relatively new sound guy/musician?

2- In regards to the Peavey outputs in the back of the mixer which have two right (main) and two left (monitor) outputs, what is the best configuration of the speakers. If in a square room with one speaker in each of the four corners, should I:
    A- send the output from the right (main) to the two front of house speakers (one on the left side of the room and one on the right side of the room) and then the left outs (monitor) going to the speakers at the back of the house (near the drum kit with one on the left and one on the right side of the back of the room). OR
    B- Send the output from the right (main) to both right side speakers (one in the front and one in back by the drummer) and then the left outs (monitor) to both left side speakers (one in front and one back by drums)

3- In hooking the powered Fender Passport 150 up to the main powered Peavey mixer, should I use a regular line level livewire instrument cable (the Peavey only has the 1/4in out and I do not have an XLR option here), or do I use a speaker cable (I'm pretty sure I read I need to use the instrument cable for this connection). When plugging that line from the Peavey into the the Fender, can I use any of the inputs in the Fender console?

Thoughts, opinions, feedback are all welcome. This is my first post, but bass talk forums have in the past helped me to make many purchases. So, thanks to everyone.

Attached Files:

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    what is all this for?

not being snarky, what exactly is the goal here? jamming with friends? recording? band practices?

(oh, and welcome to talkbass :))

3. B-Real B-Bass

B-Real B-Bass

Aug 29, 2017
    Connecticut
    I guess I'm dabbling in all of the above. Mainly band practice for my first real band project.

Most of my gear has all been acquired through hand me downs and I'm really trying to make it all work...

Plus, the further down the rabbit hole I go... I just realize I like all the aspects of gear and sound production... So just been really playing around with different ideas in my space lately.

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Basically, sticking a speaker in each of the 4 corners of a room is a BAD idea.. sonically. You'll get ZERO gain (volume) before feedback.. even if just mic'ing vocals.
    For the average size practice room, TWO speakers (like you have) should be ample to handle vocals, acoustic geetar and any keys.
    Get them elevated and pointed AWAY from any mics, or place them on the floor (like wedges) and angle them up at you.

None of this is relevant if you read my comment above. You can use EITHER main or mon feed to send to TWO speakers.. your choice. I HIGHLY recommend NOT putting a speaker in each corner.. it will cause you nothing but trouble.. feedback, no volume, etc.

YEs, standard 1/4" INSTRUMENT cable. There also 1/4" SPEAKER cables. Those should ONLY be used between an amp and a speaker. Most cables have the type labeled on the outer jacked as it's often tough to tell by just looking.

yes, you CAN do that.. but I don't see a STEREO OUT.. If you mean the Left and Right TAPE outputs, then yes, you can, but you'll need TWO inputs on the Fender.