1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PA speaker as cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by olias, Apr 3, 2006.

1. olias

olias

Mar 30, 2006
    Amarillo, Texas
    I'm looking for a cheap upgrade from my practice amp. Anybody ever use a bass head and a PA cabinet instead of a bass head and bass cabinet? Is this just another dumb idea? I see inexpensive high wattage pa speakers on ebay and wonder if this would work. Feel free to tell me this is the second stupidest idea you've ever heard (the first being my bass head-connected-to-Pioneer-stereo-cabinet idea).

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    #1:
    A speaker is nothing without a cab; it will simply not work well, if at all.
    #2:
    Why do you need to add to your amp anyway? If its not necessary, save for something better.

That said, a PA cab would work if the impedances and such match. But I would be aware of high wattage, cheap cabs. Wattage doesn't mean much; sensitivity of the cab is much more important. And many PA cabs don't get the necessary bass to work as a bass cab.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I've even gigged with 'em. Just be aware that you want one that can handle any low end you might throw at it - in fact with some I've had to roll off some bass. But usually I've done it with the PA cab on top of a comapct subwoofer. Then it smokes most bass rigs for low extension and great polar response. But I would suggest trying the PA cab first, before you buy, and at lower wattage, and work your way up.

4. Generally, inexpensive high wattage PA cabs are just that! Cheap PA cabinets.
    The power rating, if measured at all, would be at mid to high frequencies.

I've played through some older JBL Cabaret series cabs with good results but they were loaded with E140s and ported correctly. That said, they weren't any cheaper than a bass cab.

THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH!!!