Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA speaker cabnets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pooja, Feb 7, 2006.

1. pooja

pooja

Jan 17, 2006
    I was wondering if i could use a 18 inch PA cabnet with a power amp for a bass rig, or would this sound too muddy? And i would also be using a tube pre amp.

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    You could use it as a sub woofer but as a stand alone full range cabinet it would probably suck.

If it had a passive crossover to hook up to another mid/high cabinet you could plug in some tens or a 15 to it to get the higher frequencies out. Either that or use a crossover after your pre amp and send 100Hz(more or less) and below to the 18 and the rest to another cabinet.

So you would most likely need another cabinet

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I did it both ways - 18" PA cab (Yamaha) as lows in a crossover rig (with an Avatar 2x10) and as a fullrange with a 12" GK combo on top. I actually preffered the second of these options, but that may have just been a not-so-great crossover. It sounded much more natural when I did the pre-eq DI output of the combo into the power amp, then cut the lows on the amp (the 18 would see a flat sound), sort of like a very, very rudimentary hi-pass.

Then I bought a tube amp and sounded better. :) That said, the big rig that I used to have with the 1x18 and top cabinet did its job (amplifying a 7 string) pretty damn well.

4. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I think it depends on the sound your looking for. Back in the 70's and 80's alot of players used 18's. The big Acoustic's and Sunn colesiums were all 18's, Entwhistle used all 18's at that time. they can give a great sound. It's all up to what you like I think. And it has alot to do with how the industry hypes a certain product. I've been noticing, that for a long time, everybody wanted 10's, now lately, everybody's pushing 12's. For years, nobody wanted 12's. Like the old Bassman amps, they just were'nt in vouge. Then everybody just wanted 15's, in the 60's and early 70's, then it went to 18's. It's just up to what YOU like, really.

5. basically think about the style of music you play, if its basic, and in the lower range, and you just want chest pounding bass, and 18 can work, but if you get technical and play in the higher ranges, you;'ll need something else besides just the 18, an 18 trying to keep up with fast play just sounds muddy, it cant keep up

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Jaco played just fine with an 18 "technically" and "in the higher ranges."

But basically, I agree. Throw at least a 1x12 (or a 1x15, if you're a real sadist for the low end) on top. I used both 1x12 and 2x10, depending on the occassion (and I would use the 1x12 or the 2x10 separately, too). Some guys use a 4x12 on top, but I think that's holdover from the 80s. Many use 4x10. 2x12 and 1x18 could be fun. Just depends on the cabinets in use.

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    On the same subject (kind of), I use an Avatar 2X10 with an Avatar 1X15 Neo. At rehearsal, I'd like to be able to bring the 2X10, and use one of our unused old Peavey PA speaker cabs containing 1X15 + horn. This cab is the same impededance (8 ohms), but I've never really understood if it's safe for the PA cab to do this. Is the crossover built into the PA cab, and if so, will any bass guitar frequencies ever hit the horn (and damage it)? I don't really care if it doesnt sound as good as my Avatar 1X15, I would just like the convenience of having my 1X15 at home for practicing. Any thoughts, advice, etc. would be most appreciated.

Thanks - Skel

8. The Peavey will do fine.They do have a crossover built in so the lows wont reach the horn.Make sure you check on the back of the cabinet for the power rating,our old pair of SP 3s are only rated for 100 watts.Most of Peaveys cabinets the last 15-20 years are rated more than that so you should be ok.