Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA speaker for bassguitar ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Zipscribe, May 6, 2005.

1. Zipscribe

Zipscribe

May 3, 2005
    Hi !
    What's the truth ? Can i use a good pro PA speaker(18 sound) for bass cabs, with success ???
    As they18sound from Italy) sound real good in PA configuration, and have high effect(dB)
    Tell me the truth !! Do they have too thin paper or something else hindering this ? Anyone tried ? If u dont know , dont pretend !
    Zipscribe.

2. rwyarbrough

rwyarbrough

May 24, 2004
    This question would probably get more responses in a different forum, but for now... Looking at the specs it should work fine. IME a good 18" PA speaker, providing it has proper power handling capabilities and frequency response going for it, should work fine for a low frequency bass cabinet provided you use a good amp (meaning one that properly "matches" the 18) to power it. Also IME, I think you also want to make sure you cover the higher frequencies also with a 4 X 10 cabinet (with maybe a tweeter) or it will sound too "muddy".

I personally like the Eminence Kilomax Pro-18 speakers. You might take a look at them if you haven't already aquired the 18 sounds. Peavey makes a decent 18" and so does Carvin.
    You might also take a peek here... http://www.usspeaker.com/18.htm

YMMV

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

amp forum would get much more response. In fact a search should yield addtional info you probably haven't thought of. The question comes up at least monthly in that forum - at least for PA/bass speakers, not sure about 18's. They can be used interchangeably from my recall but seems projection is different and frequency response tends to be higher for PA.