PA Speaker or Replacement For Combo Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JazzBassvb, Dec 29, 2003.

1. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Hi all,

Stupid question, but would appreciate any input.

I've been using 2 bookshelf speakers with my amp since I blew the single 15" a couple of years ago.

I was wondering what you folks thought would be good for someone who has limited funds.

I have a Trace-Elliot Commando 15 that the head is still good and plan to use it. 100RMS with 200 peak power. I need to find the spec sheet as I don't remember if that's 8 or 4 ohm.

Option 1

I used a PA loudspeaker (woofer and horn) in highschool and it sounded pretty decent. I can pick up a PA loudspeaker with a horn for around $100 - $150. I like the fact that I could have a horn to crisp up the highs.

Option 2

Get a replacement speaker for my combo. I can pick one up for about the same price from Carvin or from the local music store.

Which would you go with?

If it's option 1, could you please give me some specs to look for as far as frequency response and the like.

Also, as far as power handling goes, should I get something in the 300w range or higher?

Thanks for the help in advance.
  2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I put a Carvin 15 8ohm in an old Fender sidekick 15 cab and its worked for me the past 4 years. I got the cast frame model. Lots of players like Electro-Voice 15s but they are more money.
  3. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Thanks for the reply.

I don't know how I did, but I overlooked the thread about PA speakers.

Oops. I think there is some good info there.

I think I will do the same as you and get a replacement speaker for my combo.

Thanks again,
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA