Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA Speaker Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by atomic_turtle, Jun 21, 2004.

1. atomic_turtle

atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    PA Speaker Troubleshooting. Can anyone suggest some good sites. I have a Peavey 2x15 with a horn, speaker cabinet that no longer produces sound out of the horn and one of the 15" speakers. I am having a hard time trying to find out what speaker I have and the peavey site is either crap or am having a mental cramp when trying to search for info relating to this enclosure. I did noticie the protection circuit lighting up prior to the speakers no longer functioning. When we removed this device eevrything looked ok. (ie the light bulb device did not look burned out). If someone could please point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm moving this to the amp forum because the guys there are more likely to be able to help with PA speaker troubles.

3. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    I used to use Peavy PA speakers. I believe they are S2's or something like that. Weigh a ton with 1X15 and horn. If you looked at them funny the horns would blow. Replace the diaphragm and try again, and again, etc.... There are several aftermarket drivers available for less money that hold up pretty well. I got mine from Tuell speakers in Dallas.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    at,

About 100 miles south of you is one of the most highly regarded speaker repair facilities in the US, New England Speaker Repair Tech, in Stoneham, Mass. Their phone number is 617-438-1786. If a speaker is at all repairable, they can do it.

5. You can substitute an 1156 automotive bulb for their driver protection bulb.

No matter who makes the speaker--Peavey, JBL, or whoever--it's still possible to blow the speakers. No speaker protection circuit is 100% foolproof.

As far as testing each speaker, you can simply check each speaker's DC resistance with an el cheapo ohmeter. Unplug one wire off each speaker and check across the terminals. Infinite resistance means a fried speaker, if you get a reading--either around 3 or 6 or 13--your speakers are not fried. Be sure to plug the wire back in when you're done.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    You can get the phone number for technical support and give them a call. I was able to get through to someone recently who was quite helpful.