Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Feb 8, 2006.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I know this is a forum is strictly related to bass speakers/amps but I figured some of you would be able to help me out with this one.

My band will soon be investing in a PA system...since we are on a budget we went on evilbay and checked out some speakers..I came across these http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2-DEURA-15-...387706959QQcategoryZ47094QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Has anyone heard of these speakers?? The price seems right. ANy feedback at all would be appreciated.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've never heard of those. Since you're in Canada, call Long and McQuade, the Bloor Street store in Toronto and ask what they have used in stock. You can find some good deals on Yorkville gear.

Murch's Music, in Cambridge may also have PA equipment for sale in your price range.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Stay away. Plastic cabs=cheap, and not in a good way. A fifteen woofer and a horn is a poor combination, albeit popular. I saw other pics of different models from the same company featuring 3 tweeters side by side, no audio engineer would ever use that arrangement, so it's safe to assume the level of engineering throughout the line is likely poor at best, if not non-existent. Words to live by: You get what you pay for.

4. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Thanks for the advice. So a 15" woofer is not a good combination for a PA set up? Would 12's be more appropriate?

5. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I wouldn't run 15s in a 2-way system unless the HF horn crossed over at no more than 800Hz, and you just don't see horns capable of going that low in speakers that run for less than around $1k each. An inexpensive PA that sounds good is an oxymoron, but if you must go inexpensive you're a lot better of with a fairly well done twelve than a cheesy fifteen.

6. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Thanks I will check this out..I will also have a look at Axe music to see what the got.

7. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    You also said that plastic enclosures = cheap ...I recall seeing JBL's enlcosed in plastic that were 500 bucks each..will a plastic enclosure mean cheap quality for all brand speakers? Will this effect the sound or were you just talking about durability?

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I don't want to impune the quality of JBL Eons, but they don't make their $11k Vertecs out of polypropylene. Or for that matter their MPro series.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The JBL EON G2's are great speakers.
    But they're unwieldy. The poly cabs are strange shape probably due to the strength of poly. Their shape makes them hard to stack with other cabs, or load on a cart, or load in the van, ... I imagine JBL doesn't use the poly for larger cabs because of the strange shapes it would require to maintain stiffness.

I do see more and more poly cabs. The new AI are poly (made in china). The line 6 looks like they could be poly. The cost to mold a cab is a lot less than wood. And there's plenty of old milk jugs around.

I'd skip the ebay cabs though for the price they don't seem believable. Unless you want to try them and let the next person know if they're any good.

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    15's are fine...in fact they are standard

But you can get away with some "good" 12's.

I recommend for the buck Yamaha club series.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Speakers?sku=601205

You can get the 15's for about 50 bucks more. You can get the 12's that will mount on the stands.

The Canadian dollar is strong right now so the price wouldn't be that much more. But IMO these are the best bang for the buck. Pay the extra hundred bucks...FYI these speakers have Emminence drivers!

11. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Standard maybe, fine I disagree. Fifteens have poor off-axis response above 800 Hz or so. The main complaint about inexpensive PA systems is that they sound fine on-axis but if you move two feet to either side you can't hear anything, and that's the result of using large woofers with no midrange drivers. The only woofers I'd feel comfortable about using without a midrange is a ten, and even then it's a marginal situation. Manufacturers of PA cabs are no different than those of bass cabs, they build what sells, and what sells is big drivers with high wattage ratings, at least in the lower price ranges where consumers tend to be semi-pros who don't have the technical knowledge required to make an informed decision. Fifteens are fine in properly designed 3-way systems, but those don't come cheap.

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

Interesting...I have noticed a lot of the high end PA speakers use 12's...EAW's come to mind. So what do you reccmmend that would drain the bank account too bad?

13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    And this is for PA cabinets where sound engineers care about dispersion. On the other hand, most bass cabs have no consideration for this at all. if a bass cab sound good it's just when you're on axis. Walk around the stage and hear for yourself.

14. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I wish I could say that I've heard something affordable that's really good, but I can't. But I don't see that many small acts either, most of the bands I hear are in the 6500 seat amphitheatre that I consult for. Based on specs alone I'd lean towards the Carvin 1584 as a good cab at a reasonable price ($350 plus shipping). It's got a 15 and a horn but also an 8 inch midrange driver, probably the least expensive 3 way I've seen, and no plastic. http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=1584&CID=CLB

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yeah I looked at those..JBL and Peavy make some too. I own Carvin stuff..it's our pratice PA. I do not like how Carvin's handle bass at all IMO.

16. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Again, I can't speak from personal experience. The last factory made speaker cabinet I bought was a '65 Fender Bassman, and it was new.

17. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I completely forgot about Carvin...their prices are great if you buy direct..even with the exchange rate its a great deal..plus its all built in the USA. Thanks billfitzmaurice for bringing up Carvin.

18. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Just don't ship via UPS, they nail you on customs charges.

19. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  20. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Everybody has plastic enclosures at the first price point, otherwise they wouldn't be able to compete. In any event you can't compare one brand to another based on what they look like, it's what's inside that counts.