1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PA Sub help

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ademercado, Jan 2, 2012.

1. ademercado

ademercado

Dec 18, 2011
    Hello,

My name is Tony, and I am new to this forum. Let me start by saying that I am a drummer learning to play bass (also play a little piano). I go to school for Music Technology, I am learning theory and applying it to this instrument.

Well I have my own PA. Its a little old, a Yamaha EMX300 mixer from the early 90's I believe. Its 12 channels with a 2 channel 600 watt amp (300 per channel). It sounds great, I have always used it for vocals and to add depth to the drums. I have two speaker cabs that handle 300 watts RMS each (600 peak). There 15 inch loud speakers with cones. They sound good, and elevated/suspended the way they are there quite loud, loud enough to drowned unmic'd drums. I also have a descent amount of sound proofing, and sound absorbing panels and such to make everything sound good in studio, which is half my living room and all of my dining room.

The only problem I am having atm is bass. I don't have a bass amp, didn't buy one because i already have a descent PA. Now i should have seen this coming, but there just isn't enough bass. There was always that issue with the kick drum not sounding, well like a sub.

So I need a sub right? I don't want a practice amp as I like to play bass with my drum students, and i suspect i would need a hefty amp to keep up with the drums. I need advice on where to go sub wise. I think i may need more power, or perhaps a powered sub? I dunno... any advice?

I eventually want to upgrade and add more to use for my own gigs.

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'd scour your local Craigslist for a cheap powered sub. Shipping is outrageous for a sub so they're tough to sell on eBay. You should be able to snag one really cheap if you keep your eyes peeled. It doesn't need to be huge -- just having a dedicated box will improve things dramatically.

Some day you might also want to get a cheap small combo amp for portability and practice if you really get into bass.